Anyone own a set of Bellows?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Jones

Sep 13, 2008
New hampshire
I was thinking, especially in this shoulder season where wood stove fires are needed a little in the morning and sometimes a litte more at night, depending on the forecast. Have any hearth com memebers invested in a set of bellows? They can be a classy old tool, but I suppose I could use my hair dryer instead, but I'd like to own a nice set of bellows. I think they are so cool...Midevil like. Any link , comments or concerns i should be aware or?

I own a bellows and find it to be a decoration. If you have a good chimney setup then you have all the air you need. Use more kindling.

I have a fireplace bellows that I've been using for years. You can get them at reasonable prices (around $10) at many places, including Ace hardware and Lowes. It's a handy tool to have when starting a fire. Just don't overdo it; you want to create gentle air movement with them--less is better in this case.

Like Highbeam's, mine make a wonderful decoration - hardly ever used them even for the fireplace.
What is your stove/chimney setup like that it won't let you get a roaring pile of kindling with a bit of the Union Leader? Is it just in the warmer weather that it doesn't draft that well?

No bellows for the insert. but find that when burning the needles and branches outside that the blower really helps to get it going and keeping it going. Saves on the expense of using diesel ;-)

I have a set of home made bellows that I used to use as a yout (my dad made them). I don't use them but they do look cool as an orniment.

I have a bellows I use it once & a while for the kindling to catch.
I think I got it at Home Depot or Lowes for like 10 bucks.

I do have a pretty simple system, 14" of straight pipe and chimney off the top of my Englander13NC. Problem is my cord wood is a little too damp to really get effective burning and I do make my own kindling with a splitter, so that isn't exactly dry either. I do have a few boxes of pine board splits which I am trying to conserve. I thought some bellows would help me reignite some of my damp kindling when I have only a few coals left without having to use up my super-cedars.... Regular burning seems to be working fine for me...

20 years ago we got a nice fire place tool kit for Christmas that has the bellows but I've never used them...guess I give it a shot with the bellows next time I want to restart the fire. Why not?

savageactor7 said:
20 years ago we got a nice fire place tool kit for Christmas that has the bellows but I've never used them...guess I give it a shot with the bellows next time I want to restart the fire. Why not?

Who is Captain Jenks?

JoeyJ said:
I do have a pretty simple system, 14" of straight pipe and chimney off the top of my Englander13NC. Problem is my cord wood is a little too damp to really get effective burning and I do make my own kindling with a splitter, so that isn't exactly dry either. I do have a few boxes of pine board splits which I am trying to conserve. I thought some bellows would help me reignite some of my damp kindling when I have only a few coals left without having to use up my super-cedars.... Regular burning seems to be working fine for me...

If your wood is damp, stack a couple days supply inside and it'll dry out. Or put a bunch of splits around the outside edge of the hearth for a couple of hours. End of damp wood problem.

I have a very nice bellows from my parents' fireplace, never have used them. Once in a blue moon, I blow air at the fire personally. Not worth hauling out the belows for, IMHO.

JoeyJ said:
I do make my own kindling with a splitter, so that isn't exactly dry either.
I've always found small splits to be best as my "secondary" kindling, once the fire has a bit of life, but not too easy to light with newspaper. For starting I like to use small, dry twigs (a quarter inch to an inch)- I have the kids gather them into piles to sun-dry, then later snap them to length and load 'em up by the box into the barn. The harvest is in!

Like Sonny, I have a motorized bellows for outdoor use.

Attachments

• shrunkburn2.JPG
    shrunkburn2.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 194
I have some bellow that were hand made by my FIL. Nicely carved. Don't use too often but will never part with them.

JoeyJ said:
savageactor7 said:

Who is Captain Jenks?

Captain Janks ...just some guy that burns members of the media the way we burn wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.