1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Anyone own one of these humidifiers?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by charly, Dec 6, 2012.

1. charly

charly Guest

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. xman23

xman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    i don't have it, but hope to learn more about it. I do have a large volume cold evap type with a wick. I got it at sears, but have seen it sold by others. Mine was advertised as 12 gallons a day, and it does it. Maybe because of the dry air from the wood stove. It has some nice electronic controls. Digital humidistat setting with 4 automatic or manual fan speed control. The only PITA is all the manual filling of the side tank. It's easy, but I wish there was a water hookup modification I could make.

They talk a lot about air cleaning. I didn't hear any numbers for the quanity of water it evaporates or the controls.
  3. charly

charly Guest

I just starting looking at these so I'll look more into the numbers on the gallons of water that are put into the air.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
  5. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I will stick with my Honeywell humidifiers. I can buy a lot of wicks for the three hundred dollar difference. Especially since I buy them for five bucks apiece at Walmart at the end of the season on clearance.
  6. charly

charly Guest

I see Honeywell makes a unit that does up to 2500 sq ft. 140 dollars or so.
  7. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I had the brand wrong. They are Sunbeam. I paid forty bucks apiece for a couple for this 2,500 sq. ft. joint last year and ain't looking back. Keeps the place right at 50 percent and I fill them once a day.

Can't believe I messed around with a steamer on the wood stove all those years.

[​IMG]
    charly likes this.
  8. xman23

xman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    Good advice BB, for all out there messing with a pot of water on the stove, give it up. These evap type use a small fan motor to add huge amount of humidity to the air.
  9. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    I have a similar one, it does a very good job. but it is annoying to clean the filter. I replace it yearly but clean it (overnight in a bucket of bleach, then all the next day with vinegar, then run it for a half hour in the garage to blow out the smells) about 3 or 4 times over the season.

Makes a WORLD of difference when it comes to my skin getting dry and cracking. its pretty much a mandatory item in the house.