Anyone perking up a dingy stove before this winter with a little Acetone and Stove Bright?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

A perk up with a little Acetone and Stove Bright?

Heat really dulls the paint. I painted this stove last summer and it looks ok. Some scratches and the ash pan has some rusty spots inside. Since I had all the panels off to upgrade the combustion blower, I put them on the saw horseys outside.

Anyone else making their stove look better and keeping the rust down with a little paint?

I just painted the back, top and one side panel so far.

Click pics to enlarge:

Attachments

• ContourPainting1.JPG
    ContourPainting1.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 197
  • ContourPainting2.JPG
    ContourPainting2.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Reactions: vinny11950
For sure do it outside. Upwind. There is enough acetone in StoveBright by itself to kill an Army mule. Painted the old wood stove insert with it in the house one time and was sick for a week. And haven't been able to do arithmetic since.

For sure do it outside. Upwind. There is enough acetone in StoveBright by itself to kill an Army mule. Painted the old wood stove insert with it in the house one time and was sick for a week. And haven't been able to do arithmetic since.

As part of my service I painted a Harman Invincibe Mojave Red for a lady. It. had brass trim.
See pics
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/painting-the-stove-inside.112384/#post-1495031

R u Alergic? Maybe you could get someone to do it?

As part of my service I painted a Harman Invincibe Mojave Red for a lady. It. had brass trim.
See pics
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/painting-the-stove-inside.112384/#post-1495031

R u Alergic? Maybe you could get someone to do it?

Allergy has nothing to do with it. Acetone has long been proven to cause brain damage. Only use that stuff in well ventilated spaces. Preferably outdoors. SB is one of the few paints on the planet that still contains that stuff.

http://www.toxipedia.org/display/toxipedia/Acetone

OK. Some things are starting to make sense now. Hello. ;lol

OK. Some things are starting to make sense now. Hello. ;lol

What color is your stove? I am painting a Lopi Yankee Bay, a customer brought to my shop from Maine? It is part of a rebuild, the Stove was in an Auto Accident!

Metallic brown. They put the crap in all of their stove paint.

I put five coats of it on the new, in 2006, stove. Outside. With a respirator. And did the curing burns between coats out there too.

Metallic brown. They put the crap in all of their stove paint.

I put five coats of it on the new, in 2006, stove. Outside. With a respirator. And did the curing burns between coats out there too.

Nice, five coats! That shine must have lasted a long time?

Finished up a nice older two door Lopi wood stove earlier this week. Hate to see it go but no sense letting it rust. Let someone else enjoy. Blasted the garage Harman last week and painted. Looks like new. About five hours labor for the job over a couple days. Will finish up the Whitfield Quest I got last spring after take camping in early October. Pretty much all internal parts blasted and painted. Need to check how much it draws on a inverter. Worked great to heat the big tent.

Finished up a nice older two door Lopi wood stove earlier this week. Hate to see it go but no sense letting it rust. Let someone else enjoy. Blasted the garage Harman last week and painted. Looks like new. About five hours labor for the job over a couple days. Will finish up the Whitfield Quest I got last spring after take camping in early October. Pretty much all internal parts blasted and painted. Need to check how much it draws on a inverter. Worked great to heat the big tent.

We would like to see pics of ur Harman?

A Big E I just spiffed up. Hi temp flat black with Dark Grey Hammered finish on the access panels.

Attachments

• Brekwell 007.jpg
    Brekwell 007.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 124
IMG_0039.JPG Inquiring mind wanted to know. Don't mind the dust as we are in wheat harvest and the stove has made forty miles down gravel roads. Trying to fix the handle as is brass and I don't have a welding torch and have never tried tig on brass. Can't believe they want over $40 for a handle

A Big E I just spiffed up. Hi temp flat black with Dark Grey Hammered finish on the access panels.

Wow, looks like brand new!

View attachment 136585 Inquiring mind wanted to know. Don't mind the dust as we are in wheat harvest and the stove has made forty miles down gravel roads. Trying to fix the handle as is brass and I don't have a welding torch and have never tried tig on brass. Can't believe they want over $40 for a handle

The new style fire door and nickel trim kits are not too expensive. That would jazz it up a bit.

I have a used gold door for a P61 it will fit all P-series stoves except P68, you can have that cheap!

Last edited:
The fancy upgrades where I looked were very expensive. Market in my area is on both ends of the scale for what they will pay for a used stove but with corn so low will try to sell in a month or so. Just no need having found out how reliable the Harman has been in the house. Spare igniter and ESP an service the blower motors and should be good for many years I hope but have backups anyway.

Allergy has nothing to do with it. Acetone has long been proven to cause brain damage. Only use that stuff in well ventilated spaces. Preferably outdoors. SB is one of the few paints on the planet that still contains that stuff
I have setup a 10x20 canopy outside to blast and paint outside. Better outside lighting with a white top and who cares about some rust and sand on the ground outside?

Shed/Workshop is now ready for another season of cheap and cozy Quad Contour wood pellet stove heating!

Attachments

• IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    358.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0998.JPG
    IMG_0998.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0999.JPG
    IMG_0999.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1001.JPG
    IMG_1001.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 112
I known it's been said here before but what's the greyish paint called on the top of my Whitfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.