Anyone put in a catalytic and a non-catalytic and compare them?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, looking forward to hearing how that works out,
Not sure how long this will take. I am buying used and the BK used market is minimal. I'm guessing it will take 12-24 months before I land something.

I guess its going to depend on the height of the chimney on how well it works.
I'm actually going to try it in my shortest chimney, the one with the 30 in it. It seems to draft better than the taller chimney with the Defiant (the opening for the kitchen fireplace is too small for the BK). I will keep the 30 as back up in case it ends up not working.

oldspark Minister of Fire Joined: Feb 16, 2010 Messages: 5,933 Loc: North West Iowa New I would really like to try a cat stove (has to be a 6 inch chimney) which one would be the best to try, it has to put out a lot of heat for the below 0 temps, the Summit works great until the below 0 temps hit.

In order to meet his needs during colder temps he will need a larger stove, whether it is cat or non-cat stove.

Let's refine this a bit, his needs are not a high burst of high heat but to make enough btus to replace what is being lost to the outdoor air. With a non-cat stove burning in cycles you are likely to use full power quite often but with a cat stove, constant medium output can put more btus into the space. It's the area under the curve, not the height of the peak that matters.

If, despite a valiant effort, the summit is just not capable of maintaining temperature in the home then I would not be recommending the princess. I would instead recommend looking at the the hotter running PH and to live with the shorter burn times. The summit is a great stove and a large stove. I'm a little worried that you can't do much better on a 6" flue.

Let's refine this a bit, his needs are not a high burst of high heat but to make enough btus to replace what is being lost to the outdoor air. With a non-cat stove burning in cycles you are likely to use full power quite often but with a cat stove, constant medium output can put more btus into the space. It's the area under the curve, not the height of the peak that matters.
I agree. But it is hard to say for sure that would work in Old Sparks case. I've repeatedly said that if the 30 was a cat stove and could be run at steady 400 degrees, it would provide 20+ hours of heat. For my situation, that would be awesome. Especially with the fan going. This supports your statement that a medium burn over a longer period of time is more beneficial than a hot, short peak, followed by a long cool down stage.

If, despite a valiant effort, the summit is just not capable of maintaining temperature in the home then I would not be recommending the princess. I would instead recommend looking at the the hotter running PH and to live with the shorter burn times. The summit is a great stove and a large stove. I'm a little worried that you can't do much better on a 6" flue.
Still not sure what to make of the PH and how the mass plays into its heating ability. But I am leaning towards that stove to replace the Defiant. So, I guess we'll find out.

I
Still not sure what to make of the PH and how the mass plays into its heating ability. But I am leaning towards that stove to replace the Defiant. So, I guess we'll find out.

I take it back, skip the PH. If a summit at 800 can't heat old spark's house then he needs two stoves or a furnace. We have to assume he is using the summit to full potential and the summit is no slouch.

The NC30 with a cat is a princess. They have nearly the same firebox.

How big is your Nashua's firebox Old Spark? I recall it heated your home better than the Summit? Maybe the Summit is a lemon.

I take it back, skip the PH. If a summit at 800 can't heat old spark's house then he needs two stoves or a furnace. We have to assume he is using the summit to full potential and the summit is no slouch.
I would lean towards a furnace than two stoves if it were me.

The NC30 with a cat is a princess. They have nearly the same firebox.
I've suspected this was the case. Especially since I have been using the fan this season. I'm greedy, so I am looking for a used King for even longer burn times.

How big is your Nashua's firebox Old Spark? I recall it heated your home better than the Summit? Maybe the Summit is a lemon.
Pretty sure the Nashua had a huge firebox.

I think soapstone mass plays a big role in extending that long even heat output. The stone doesn't get as hot as a steel or cast stove but it stores and releases the heat slower over a longer period. The stone is almost like a natural BK t-stat.

I think soapstone mass plays a big role in extending that long even heat output. The stone doesn't get as hot as a steel or cast stove but it stores and releases the heat slower over a longer period. The stone is almost like a natural BK t-stat.
I disagree with some of that as I had no problem getting the Heritage up to 600, or more, if I wanted to. No different than a cast iron stove. The heat storing capabilities is only worthwhile if the stove is sized appropriately for your needs. The heritage was not, so it sitting at 200-300 at the end of the burn provided little use to me. But, the 30 sitting at 200-300 is far more capable at providing the heat I need.

Nashua had a 4.25 cubic foot firebox.
It not only heated the house better it did it when the house was no where near as tight as it is now.
How long can one expect a stove like the Summit to throw out 700 degree heat.

Extended forecast has us with -6 for a high and -15 for a low starting a week from today.!!!

The only thing the stone does is reduce the peaks and valleys of the burn cycle. It moderates output somewhat by clipping the extremes but I would not equate the function to a thermostat. The temps still rise and fall dependent on your fuel load and fixed air setting. I too have owned a stone stove and I liked the "feel" of radiant heat.

So I guess to be fair I need a stove with a 4 cubic foot fire box.

Nashua had a 4.25 cubic foot firebox.
It not only heated the house better it did it when the house was no where near as tight as it is now.
That's a big boy. You can not expect a smaller stove to perform as well. The King or the Regency F5100 would be the best options to meet the same output.

How long can one expect a stove like the Summit to throw out 700 degree heat.
Two, maybe three hours before the temps begin to decline slowly.

That's a big boy. You can not expect a smaller stove to perform as well. The King or the Regency F5100 would be the best options to meet the same output

I blame myself for that, only time I had to push the Nashua was when it was real cold so I though a smaller stove running at full tilt would do it.
Blaze King running at a high level would put out more heat then the Summit?

You Heritage guys sent most of your heat up the flue. I burned a Hearthstone as well and found a bit better outcome when I switched to a cat rock.

Blaze King running at a high level would put out more heat then the Summit?
I can not say for sure as I have never owned either stove. I can only compare between all the different sized stoves I have run, and a larger firebox has out-heated a smaller firebox in every situation.

I plan on purchasing a King, as I mentioned previously, so at some point I will be able to provide a comparison from a King vs. a 30 vs a Defiant vs a Vigilant.

But that may not be for another year or so.

You Heritage guys sent most of your heat up the flue. I burned a Hearthstone as well and found a bit better outcome when I switched to a cat rock.
I had a damper on mine and greatly reduced my flue temps when compared to other owners. Also, no matter how much heat was going up the flue, I still had that rock sitting at 600.

Status
Not open for further replies.