Anyone recomend a good place/person in southern newengland (ri/ma) to clean my stove for the season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cristiansmom

Jul 17, 2008
Rhode Island
I do regular cleaning and such but to close it for the season I am sure there is lots that I can't do... My husband is pretty useless when it comes to this kind of stuff.. We have an Afton Bay St. Croix... I would love to find someone to do it that is good but reasonable in price.. Thanks..

Debi

Debi,

Don't count yourself out so quickly. If you can use a screw driver, a socket driver, ye ole properly filtered vacuum device, some brushes, a few spare gaskets, a bit of tubing with some packing tape, don't mind getting a bit dirty, and have a bit of dexterity you shouldn't have any trouble at all doing that job yourself. The stoves are not all that complicated.

I can't help you with the hubby, some are handy and some aren't. Funny when you think about it because the same can be said for the other side as well.

I also can't help you with finding someone down that way.

debinri said:
I do regular cleaning and such but to close it for the season I am sure there is lots that I can't do... My husband is pretty useless when it comes to this kind of stuff.. We have an Afton Bay St. Croix... I would love to find someone to do it that is good but reasonable in price.. Thanks..

Debi

I have three names for you:

Mike' Pellet Stove Repair 860-963-2369

Tri State Chimney 1-508-450-0483

Jeffery Decker Chimney and Stove Repair 1-860-634-4259

Hope they can help, Steve

debinri said:

Debi

Debi,

try this "installers" search engine....it searches for installers in relation to your zip code. Many of them list "service" on their site, and may do cleanings too.

www.stovesdirect.com/installers

You can do it yourself! Don't pay someone. I've been doing
my own maintenance and minor repair since this stove was
new. My brother doesn't know how to do any of it only because
he is lazy and never cared about learning it. One of the main
tools you will need is a flexible brush that will span the length of
your exhaust pipe. I bought mine online from northline express
but am sure you can get them from many places.
Pulling the blowers and cleaning them thoroughly is also
tops on the list. Again, not rocket science but dirty. I take
them out to the garage and clean with a toothbrush and
compressed air. There are more thorough cleaning threads
out here but those two things are the major tasks involved.

debinri said:
My husband is pretty useless when it comes to this kind of stuff..

Debi

It begs to ask what you married him for?

I kind of take offense to that... He's a city guy and not very handy but.... He's a hero in my eyes!! He's fought in 2 wars, is serving in the military still, he's a great father, wonderful husband, great provider!!! Just cuz he's not handy with a stove means nothing to me!!!

Debi

I know you didn't mean anything by the remark, just a joke I guess... sorry, just kind of touchy this morning...

debinri said:
I kind of take offense to that... He's a city guy and not very handy but.... He's a hero in my eyes!! He's fought in 2 wars, is serving in the military still, he's a great father, wonderful husband, great provider!!! Just cuz he's not handy with a stove means nothing to me!!!

Debi

I know you didn't mean anything by the remark, just a joke I guess... sorry, just kind of touchy this morning...

Mechanical aptitude isn't gender related anyway. I was just poking a bit. Actually, I know a ASAE Certified Diesel Mechanic who happens to clean up really nice and has long legs (that are usually hidden in uniform pants). She looks good at work and even better out of uniform and she spins wrenches with the best in our shop.

...Could have been my elephant that caught you the wrong way....lol

Just take that unit apart and do it yourself. A couple nut drivers and some patience. Just don't touch anything until you wash your hands. Soot stains everything.

debinri said:

Debi

Since the rules prohibit me from naming myself I cannot but do a search on Google local under pellet stove cleaning, MA or RI and see what pops up. :)

smwilliamson said:
Since the rules prohibit me from naming myself I cannot but do a search on Google local under pellet stove cleaning, MA or RI and see what pops up. :)

Not positive but I believe those rules only apply to non supporting vendors...
Might want to shoot Craig a pm and ask about becoming one.

There is a great guy in Meriden. He is licensed to clean oil, gas and pellet stoves and furnaces. His name is Jeff and you can call him at 203-634-6000. He will actually take the time to clean the whole stove and then he has a special vaccum that will suck out all the ash as particles.

They also are selling Hamers Hot Ones for $235.00 per ton

Status
Not open for further replies.