Anyone regret going too big or too small?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 3 stoves on one floor of a 2400ft ranch

A Quad 1000, a Whitfield prodigy 2 and a Whitfield Advantage 2T

We use the tiny whit during times when it's just a tad cool, then switch to the large whit when it gets cold out, then add the little whit to the mix when it gets even colder

When it really gets cold the Quad might get used as it did this past winter when temps dropped to near zero.

Multiple stoves is a great way to go, plus you have a fail safe.

A one stove system can leave you in the lurch if it fails during foul weather.

JUST SOME THOUGHTS

Snowy

Reactions: Arti
I have to agree with Snowy that given the nature of the space heaters the use of multiple stoves makes things more comfortable. In my case we have three in house but also for the ability to multifuel. The Bixby really shines with corn and corn is going to be probably for the next couple years one third the price of pellets. The install of used stoves makes multiple stoves a reasonable option.

Has anyone regretted going too big or too small with your stove? I have an Enviro Empress insert getting installed this month, but I keep getting a little nagging voice in my head that is telling to "Go Big" and get the M55 instead. I have an 1100 sf 1 level ranch, and the owner of the stove shop says the Empress is the perfect fit, and the M55 is way too much stove for my little house. Obviously, I appreciate his honesty in not trying to upsell me, but I know some folks like the extra horsepower that a bigger BTU stove puts out. I also like the fact that M55 seems to be less choosy about pellets. We are very well insulated, we had 10" of blown in cellulose put in the attic this past winter. I am driving myself crazy overthinking this!
I think we nailed it with the P61a. By Sq Ft the P43 or Accentra insert should heat the house ( 1800 sq ft). But the house could be tighter than it is and we hit that sub zero stuff last winter without the oil heat kicking on and were glad we had the extra vrooom. And no problem in the shoulder season either, the stove just started and stopped as needed. So I think we picked the right one, we never hit the wall with it and this winter we will tighten up a bit more and get the OAK installed.. In some of that mid winter weather we did run at about 2/3 output but generally more like half. That was keeping the dining room ( next room over from the living room where the stove is) at a steady 73-74 deg. I wouldn't have wanted a smaller stove for sure. A P68 would have done no harm but no real gain apparently either. We burned more pellets than I figured on but kept warm.

I think we nailed it with the P61a. By Sq Ft the P43 or Accentra insert should heat the house ( 1800 sq ft). But the house could be tighter than it is and we hit that sub zero stuff last winter without the oil heat kicking on and were glad we had the extra vrooom. And no problem in the shoulder season either, the stove just started and stopped as needed. So I think we picked the right one, we never hit the wall with it and this winter we will tighten up a bit more and get the OAK installed.. In some of that mid winter weather we did run at about 2/3 output but generally more like half. That was keeping the dining room ( next room over from the living room where the stove is) at a steady 73-74 deg. I wouldn't have wanted a smaller stove for sure. A P68 would have done no harm but no real gain apparently either. We burned more pellets than I figured on but kept warm.
Yep...
sounds like us..
The P61a does the Job..
4 tons burned last winter without a glitch...
steady 73-74 degrees all winter.

I originally bought a small Drolet for hating, it was supposed to heat around 1.2K. My idea was that since the basement was around 1K it would heat the basement and also reduce the load on the upstairs. I was adding wood every 2 hours and running it wide open to heat the basement to 60::F. I then bought the TL300 and been happy since. With a large CAT stove you can load it up turn it on low and let it cruse for hours, with a small stove get your running shoes on.

I agree Snowy, we were fairly happy with burning pellets in the basement stove until last year. Windy and very cold for weeks on end so we put a pellet Furnace in the basement and moved the pellet stove upstairs.
We had considered selling the pellet stove but I'm glad we didn't. Having a backup is cheap insurance as well as being able to heat one area is nice, sort of like zone heating without a lot of fancy controls!
We've been burning mostly pellets with a little corn mixed in, it looks like we will be burning corn this year with a few pellets mixed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.