Anyone seen or used a Buffalo Wood Pellet Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Looks like there is only one model. The specs and shell is very similar to the Pelpro Bay View?

Control panel looks a little funky!

>> http://www.buffalopelletstoves.com/products.php

Nice Price Comparison chart with Breckwell, Enviro, Harman and Whitfield!
http://www.buffalopelletstoves.com/comparison.php

Buffalo Specs
Heat Output: 7,000 - 42,000 BTU
Heat Capacity: 1,800+ Square Feet
Maximum Burn Time: 10 to 72 hours
Efficiency: 87%
Circulation Blower: Exempt from EPA cert. reqts.
Hopper Capacity, Std: 50 lbs.
Hopper Capacity, Ext: 90 lbs.
Depth: 29"
Width: 26"
Height, Standard Hopper: 30"
Height, Extended Hopper: 37"
Shipping Weight: 250 lbs.
Flue Size: 3"
Fresh Air Intake: 2"
Mobile Home Approved: Yes
Safety Listing: Warnock Hersey

Pelpro Bay View Specs
http://www.menards.com/main/heating...o-bay-window-freestanding-stove/p-1767011.htm
Pelpro BAY WINDOW FREESTANDING STOVE - 65 lb capacity hopper with a burn time of up to 43 hours, 8700-42,000 BTUs, 265 CFM circulation fan, large capacity ash drawer, 1-piece firebrick, 3 WINDOWS, built in air wash helps keep window clean for your viewing enjoyment & sizeable viewing area to help enjoy the ambiance of your pellet stove. EPA Approved.

• Includes: Electric igniter, side-mounted draft control, AcuTron thermostat ready control c/w 4 heat settings and 5 fan speeds, 3' fresh air kit
  • Burns up to 43 hours
  • Heats up to 2000 sq. ft.
  • Includes 1pc Stainless Steel Log set.
  • Requires 3" or 4" PELLET VENTING
  • EPA Approved. C02 neutral and environmentally responsible.
  • A classy stove for the home!

Attachments

• BuffaloPelletStove.jpg
    BuffaloPelletStove.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,953
  • BuffaloPelletStoveControlPanel.jpg
    BuffaloPelletStoveControlPanel.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 463
  • BuffaloPelletStovePriceComparisonChart.jpg
    BuffaloPelletStovePriceComparisonChart.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 518
  • PelproBayViewMenardsPrice.jpg
    PelproBayViewMenardsPrice.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 542
That stove reads very well.... The way the board/t-stat is constantly regulating the pellet feed, blower speed, and reading air temp all the time.. Kinda sounds like some good technology (read Harman).

Although I have never heard of them, they have all the options that someone would want. Sounds like it has a versa grate type system (constantly moving pot to eliminate ash/clinker formation).

I like it.....

That stove reads very well.... The way the board/t-stat is constantly regulating the pellet feed, blower speed, and reading air temp all the time.. Kinda sounds like some good technology (read Harman).

Although I have never heard of them, they have all the options that someone would want. Sounds like it has a versa grate type system (constantly moving pot to eliminate ash/clinker formation).

I like it.....

Yes, it sounds like they did their home work and made a better stove. The 265 CFM room blower is good as long as it generates the heat. I also would hope that the room blower comes on after the stove warms up and not as soon as the stove is turned on.

It could be a real winner. Nice look and feel.

Hello

I always try to learn something from other stoves, so here is something to know from the Buffalo Owners Manual.
With a digital control panel that regulates the combustion blower, then this is the only reason to have a manual damper. Makes Sense!

From > http://www.buffalopelletstoves.com/Library/BuffaloPelletStoveOwnersManual0607.pdf

Fresh Air Intake Damper (Optional)
The rate at which fresh air is supplied to the
burn pot for combustion is regulated by the
exhaust blower speed. The exhaust blower
pulls fresh air through the fresh air intake and
draws it to the fire. In most typical
installations there is no need to restrict the air
being drawn in through the air intake tube. If
your installation has an extended vertical rise
of vent pipe in the exhaust system, it may be
possible that the natural draft due to the
exhaust system will draw air to the fire at
higher rate than is desired. If your installatio
has more than 10 feet of vertical rise in the
exhaust system, contact your Buffalo Pellet
Stove dealer to purchase a fresh air intake
damper that can be installed on the end of
your fresh air intake to compensate for the
vertical rise in the exhaust system.

My Harman is vented into a 23 ft long X 7" round stainless steel chimney that has always created a strong draft. After reading this, I`m going to take a draft reading to determine if I would benefit from a manual damper.

Hello

I always try to learn something from other stoves, so here is something to know from the Buffalo Owners Manual.
With a digital control panel that regulates the combustion blower, then this is the only reason to have a manual damper. Makes Sense!

From > http://www.buffalopelletstoves.com/Library/BuffaloPelletStoveOwnersManual0607.pdf

Fresh Air Intake Damper (Optional)
The rate at which fresh air is supplied to the
burn pot for combustion is regulated by the
exhaust blower speed. The exhaust blower
pulls fresh air through the fresh air intake and
draws it to the fire. In most typical
installations there is no need to restrict the air
being drawn in through the air intake tube. If
your installation has an extended vertical rise
of vent pipe in the exhaust system, it may be
possible that the natural draft due to the
exhaust system will draw air to the fire at
higher rate than is desired. If your installatio
has more than 10 feet of vertical rise in the
exhaust system, contact your Buffalo Pellet
Stove dealer to purchase a fresh air intake
damper that can be installed on the end of
your fresh air intake to compensate for the
vertical rise in the exhaust system.

My Harman is vented into a 23 ft long X 7" round stainless steel chimney that has always created a strong draft. After reading this, I`m going to take a draft reading to determine if I would benefit from a manual damper.

Good idea, if the draft is too strong you may be loosing heat!

87% efficiency?

I have a Buffalo Pellet Stove,

It is a really good stove.

Because you have a Glowboy pellet insert, you can judge the Buffalo pretty well...

Is it better/worse, hotter/coller, easier/harder, and louder/quieter than the Glowboy?

It reads very well...... Lots of good options...

Because you have a Glowboy pellet insert, you can judge the Buffalo pretty well...

Is it better/worse, hotter/coller, easier/harder, and louder/quieter than the Glowboy?

It reads very well...... Lots of good options...

I can judge the Buffalo because I have owned, Lopi, Harman, New Englander, Enviro, Jamestown, St Croix and many other brands. It burns hot and it uses less pellets. The glowboy insert in my house is rarely used as of late. The Buffalo Pellet Stove has both manual and thermostat control ability. It also modulates the heat with the demand for heat on thermostat mode. I use the Buffalo pretty frequently in the man cave.

Reactions: DexterDay
I can judge the Buffalo because I have owned, Lopi, Harman, New Englander, Enviro, Jamestown, St Croix and many other brands. It burns hot and it uses less pellets. The glowboy insert in my house is rarely used as of late. The Buffalo Pellet Stove has both manual and thermostat control ability. It also modulates the heat with the demand for heat on thermostat mode. I use the Buffalo pretty frequently in the man cave.

I know the Buffalo stove has the same body, 265 CFM room blower and large ash pan as the Pelpro Bay View. I really liked that stove. Also those very unique allen head ash pan bolts can be very easily replaced by home depot wing nut bolts for real easy removal!

November, 2015..I purchased a store demonstrator out of a storage locker (Buffalo B-100) and installed it in our living room. I'm not familiar with all the automatic features, but the stove works GREAT !! Set it and forget it ! Once the desired temperature is reached, the stove adjusts down to a very low output level and maintains the set temperature...The start-up and shut-down procedure takes a little getting used to but once understood, both work fine..My only complaint, the pellet feed auger mechanism is VERY noisy, I suspect a problem so I will investigate that. Having the optional air intake damper would be a big plus so the firebox draft could be more closely regulated..At low heat settings, mine is a little too strong..

I have been running this stove for a few days now..I still like it ! I've had the auger out, inspected and bench tested it (it's very quiet when run on the bench) I put it back in and it's still pretty noisy..I think the hopper acts like a noise amplifier. Speaking of the hopper, it barely holds one bag, 40 pounds of pellets. Left untouched, only half the pellets will slide down into the auger..You must open the lid and shove them down by hand now and then..While the ash bin holds a considerable amount, the burn pot will fill with ashes and need to be emptied every 2 bags or so...You must remove the movable grate so it's a little tricky to clean .But the moving grate keeps the top part of the burn pot pretty clean. The combustion air holes don't get plugged up with ash. When the stove shuts down, the burn pot is empty and clean. There IS an air intake damper, position set at the factory, you must take the back cover off the stove to get to it.. They sell an optional add-on damper in addition to the built-in one..But like the book says, the processor regulates the combustion air blower speed very well. Flame quality looks pretty good most of the time. The big glass door is staying amazingly clean. The convection blower has two speeds, low and high. It's very quiet. High speed kicks in about 15 minutes after a cold start..In the automatic mode, you simply set the desired room temperature. The stove will start by itself. When the desired temperature is reached, the stove reduces its output to a low level. If the temperature continues to climb, when it reaches 2 degrees above the set temperature, the stove automatically shuts down. If the temperature drops to 2 degrees below the desired setting, it will fire itself back up..Or you can switch to the manual mode where you have 5 different pellet feed rates which produce heat from minimum to maximum regardless of room temperature. In the set-up mode, you can adjust the overall pellet feed rate on a scale of 1 to 15. This bias is transferred to all the operating settings..Mine is set on 5 right now, which when the stove is running on its lowest setting, feeds just enough pellets to keep the stove lit...

Speaking of cleaning the glass, have you tried taking a DRY paper towel and scooping up some fly-ash from the inside of the stove and lightly scrubbing the glass with that? Cleans the soot and residue off in seconds..

December 2016, We still love the stove...Some observations.. The heat exchanger is not as efficient as it could be..It only has 10 tubes in a single row but it's a minor deficiency. It will heat the entire house quickly on a high setting, then maintain the temperature on a low setting. But the flue pipe gets a little hotter than it needs to..And the noisy auger problem persists..Tried to contact the company with no luck.. But on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give it a 7.5 - 8 . If the auger was quiet, I would give it a 9.5....

December 2016, We still love the stove...Some observations.. The heat exchanger is not as efficient as it could be..It only has 10 tubes in a single row but it's a minor deficiency. It will heat the entire house quickly on a high setting, then maintain the temperature on a low setting. But the flue pipe gets a little hotter than it needs to..And the noisy auger problem persists..Tried to contact the company with no luck.. But on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give it a 7.5 - 8 . If the auger was quiet, I would give it a 9.5....

Nice
I just tried their link and it does not work anymore!
http://www.buffalopelletstoves.com/products.php

Are they out of biz?

To quite the auger, I would pull it out and clean it with a wire wheel on your drill/driver and then spray it with Dry Moly. Then install a strong quite Gleason Avery 2 RPM auger motor and a brand spanking new nylon auger bearing. Just my two cents. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.