1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Anyone still burning??

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Swedishchef, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Hey guys

Well, I still have about 2 feet of snow in my yard (not just where the snowbanks formed from me snowblowing...there's 3-7 feet at those spots) and I am still burning.

It is -2 to -5C every morning. This is the roughest winter we have had in decades....When I don't burn, my baseboard heaters keep the basement at 17C. I did not burn as much in March as I should have so my powerbill from mid-Feb to mid April was as much as mid December to mid Feb.

Anyone else in the same situation as me?

Andrew

PS, we have only had 3 double digit temperature days so far (in the shade...it does get hot in the sun).

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I burned yesterday. Filled and burned down to coals my 7-foot diameter fire pit, three times, with chainsaw noodles, splitter trash, and tree tops. The stoves have been cold for weeks, but the boiler is still running. Lows here = 30-35F, highs = 50-60F. Yesterday we actually got into the upper 60's, I think!
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Have been burning at least once a day here ... still.
  4. Warm_in_NH

Warm_in_NH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central NH
    Usually a small fire at night and another (lit from coals) in the AM. Stoves going right now.

It's that or the propane. Snows gone except for the pile where it slides off the roof, that'll be there another couple weeks.

I have had 2 nights so far w no fire, hoping for more soon, it's nearly May! We've had some nice days but cold nights, live on the North side of the hill, not much solar gain, plus some dreary wet cloudy days....

Crocuses are blooming though!
  5. jatoxico

jatoxico Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Wow Chef, here I'm complaining it's still upper 30's low 40's overnight! Stopped burning regularly in March and last burn was 2 weeks ago. Long winter for everyone but what that means sure is relative.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Andrew, there is a fire in the stove right now. No, it appears we are still a few weeks away letting the stove go cold for very long.
  7. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Fewwf. Glad to hear that I am not alone. Bring up the ole' moral.

Does anybody still have 2 feet of snow on the ground? lol.

It is nice and toasty in my basement though. My only problem is that I have maybe 1/6th of a cord left. :D
    Andrew
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Oh oh, guard the furniture.
    Joful likes this.
  9. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Burning every day. 6 cords dry stacked for next year. We'll burn throu may and usually stop sometime in june for our three month break.
    Swedishchef likes this.
  10. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    I was thinking more along the lines of curboard doors before furniture. I don't NEED cupboard doors but I would like to have something to sit/sleep on.
    Warm_in_NH likes this.
  11. Hills Hoard

Hills Hoard Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia
    wow....thats cold...i am absolutely freezing this morning, and am about to light a fire!
  12. WiscWoody

WiscWoody Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Wisconsin where us fools live
    I'm still burning off and on. The last few days including today has been cold and wet so a fire makes it all better!
  13. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    43 degrees with wind and rain. Wood stove is doing its thing tonight.
  14. Fi-Q

Fi-Q Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Bonaventure, Quebec
    Same here Andrew, the chaleur bay got hammer pretty bad as well last winter. Still approx 2 feet of snow on the ground, my pond in the backyaed is still frozen ! I am still burning, but it´s hard on the kidling, small fire in the morning, a small one at lunch tine and a small one in the evening!

I am starting to see somw snow geese flying around. Wondering where they are feeding with all that ice and snow still around !
    Swedishchef likes this.
  15. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    I feel that my yard is about 50% snow free (or snow covered). The nights get back to freezing as evident in the ice on the standing water in the mornings, and the days-7 day extended- will have highs only the the upper 40's for the warmest.
    Definitely still burning!
  16. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Still burning here - have had a couple days were I could leave it completely off in the daytime. Today had to give the heat factor a bump mid-day and will burn tonight:(
  17. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Done burning here. Forties starting tonight with four days of rain and thunderstorms headed here tomorrow from the stuff that hammered the countries midsection the last couple of days.

Snow leaves, tornadoes move in.
  18. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yoyo weather here, sunny one minute then total downpour and 6 deg. temp drop the next. I have been burning half load fires that last most of the day and keep the house toasty. We stacked a load of wood in the shed today between showers. It was nice to come into a warm house afterward. Now I see it is supposed to hit in the 70s by Tues. and kissing 80 on Thurs..
  19. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    It has been a LONNNNNG winter out here in Gaspe! Eeesh.

It is currently 34F outside, a high of 39F for today/tomorrow. Ugh.
  20. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Currently 34F here, too! But going to 60F today. ;)
  21. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    See, if we had SOME heat, I wouldnt mind. But we are stalled until later this week...sheesh.
  22. ChipTam

ChipTam Burning Hunk

Loc:
    SE Michigan and Trinity, Newfoundland
    Hey Andrew,

I'll START burning around June 4 when we arrive back in Nfld. We'll burn off and on through June and then start up again in September. 24-7 burning starting around October 15. Suspect the Gaspe is about the same.

ChipTam
    Swedishchef likes this.
  23. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Been a long winter everywhere. There have only been three days since whenever it was that winter started that I haven't burned - this past Saturday, and 1-2 weeks ago. Right now it's 5c, damp, and very windy out. Still dipping into the minuses at night. Back about February I was thinking I'll have a fair amount of wood left in my basement for next winter. Not thinking that any more. At least the snow is gone from the yard - although I can still see some around the wood edges.
    Swedishchef likes this.
  24. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    I'm going up to the pole shed for more wood today. 30's and rainy all day. Grass is turning green but no warmth outside.
  25. Warm_in_NH

Warm_in_NH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central NH
    Got a small job on a boat house on Squam lake today. Asked what the time frame was that they were looking to have it done in. We then glanced at the White caps, trees with little to no buds, and then at the thermometer reading 42F.
    By boating season he says. Cool. I'll be back before August then. He says, at this rate, that'll be fine, just leave the scraps for kindling, I'll probably still be burning. :cool:
    Swedishchef likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.