anyone swapped a 90 elbow for 2 45's and seen a real difference 1st hand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
looking for a little more draft, will swapping out my 90 elbow for 2 45's really help?

to figure the length of the pipe between two 45's take the C-C measurement X 1.414. Subtract on each 45 from the center line to the make-in point on the pipe. Can be confusing so lay it out on the garage floor with soapstone or chalk and it will begin to make sense.

Yes, I have done this for a couple friend's installations with short flues and it made a nice difference.

If you are lazy like me, many stove pipe makers have offset tables at the end of their catalogs that makes figuring out the offset easy.

I have a telescopic piece of double wall, from the stove connector to the 1st 45°
Then moved the stove back for alignment. Slid the pipe up until it aligned with the horizontal.
One of the recommendations I got from the chimney draft guru was to make the horizontal run a short as possible.
Horizontal pipe is a "choke" to draft.
Also seal the joints/connections as best you can, air leaking into the pipe at the joints cools the flue & reduces the draft to the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.