Anyone tip the pellet delivery guy ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve at SIB wouldn't take my gratuity offer when he delivered my 3.5 tons last week, but I'll drop it off at his warehouse when I'm in Jay next. Getting my competitively priced pellet order delivered in just over a week from ordering, after his son got back to me within a couple hours of putting my e-mail order in, besides Steve being there at the exact time he said he would and off-loading them to my garage exactly where I wanted them put, all done with Steve's customary good cheer and appreciation for giving him my business. That all is certainly worth a gratuity.

I certainly wouldn't get that level of service out of a Big Box store, especially this season it seems where supply (and level of customer service) doesn't seem to be keeping up with demand.
Steve's service is one reason why I buy the bulk of my stash from Sib each year!

Reactions: DMKNLD
NOPE!
But I did install a bumper on his Suburban for him without charging. Not quite Quid Pro Quo because we always help each other when needed.

My neighbor owns a pickup truck and he picked up a ton last night with me and will pick up another ton today or tomorrow.

Bill

Yes always tip $20. this year was 16 tons so he earned it.

Guy delivered two tons today, brought them down a long driveway and he took care to plunk them in just the right spot inside the garage, even suggesting he move it a little from where I originally said to give me plenty of room for my lawnmower and snow-blower to get by.. He couldn't fit the entire lift in the garage so he dropped the first pallet just inside and used the second to nudge the first and gradually got the second one all inside and snugged up to the first pallet. Took about ten minutes and I gave him $10 (all I had in the wallet) and he then chatted for a bit and provided some intel I will be using shortly for another pellet purchase. Contrast that with my neighbor, who I gave about two cords of cut but un-split wood to from some felled trees on my property. He spent two days last weekend with a hydraulic splitter, loading it in a trailer and towing it to his yard, dumping it and he still has to stack it. Ten minutes versus two days. I like this pellet stuff.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Although I pick up my own pellets, I'm Inclined to agree with the poster who said most delivery guys are either the owner or a family member.[excluding Big box store employees.]
I do not think pellet delivery is a full time 52 weeks a year job for someone off the street so to speak.
My Harman stove dealer and his Son deliver all the Energex's pellets they sell in our area and if I was Inclined to pay for a delivery of 4 tons [my yearly consumption
I prob would not tip them since I already gave them around 1,000.00 worth of pellet sales.
I never concidered tipping my Oil delivery guy at any time either in the past.
I do tip for service at restaurants, Hotels etc.

My driver did me a favor and moved an existing pallet into a tight spot for me so that I could place my two outside pallets (1 old and 1 new) where I wanted them. So I tipped him 5 bucks.

Then I unloaded the other 3 tons he delivered in the last 40 min. I have 5 tons in the garage, 2 tons outside under a rare and plywood, and 1 ton inside under he stairs. I may have overkilled for my first year. But i dont think so! ::-)

Also, my arms are tired...

Attachments

• IMG_20141002_203900_086.jpg
    IMG_20141002_203900_086.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20141002_203914_331.jpg
    IMG_20141002_203914_331.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20141002_203953_161.jpg
    IMG_20141002_203953_161.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20141002_204027_759.jpg
    IMG_20141002_204027_759.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 150
My driver did me a favor and moved an existing pallet into a tight spot for me so that I could place my two outside pallets (1 old and 1 new) where I wanted them. So I tipped him 5 bucks.

Then I unloaded the other 3 tons he delivered in the last 40 min. I have 5 tons in the garage, 2 tons outside under a rare and plywood, and 1 ton inside under he stairs. I may have overkilled for my first year. But i dont think so! ::-)

Also, my arms are tired...
No such thing as TOO MANY...

I tip $10 on the couple of tons I get delivered. I'm in a rural area. The lumber yard I buy from charges a $16 delivery fee for what can be an hour of roundtrip driving for them (unless they have other deliveries off in this direction, which they don't necessarily). Either they're not paying the driver much, or overall they're not making much, from what I know about the wholesale price of pellets.

I do pick up another ton or so from the local Tractor Supply, hauling it in my little hatchbacks about 12 bags at a time. For the heart of winter I like the better quailty pellets the lumber yard gets.

My local Stove dealer just delivered 200 tons of Energex Gold Pellets to Customers all last weekend.

Wow. 2 days?
He was a busy guy!!
That's about 8 trailer truck loads!

Dan
I think now that he set up a bunch for last weekend and this weekend. Quite alot for even him and Son.
All are for the Early buy program he had this past June that His customers [including myself] put deposits on..
I bought 4 tons including these 0.5 ash Goldens from Energex.
Bag_PremiumHardwood.png they only make 1 huge Batch per year like seasonal beers. No one here seems to have as I would like to hear some
feedback on them,,, won;t be using them till feb/march..

I'm new to both pellet heating and this area - eastern Panhandle of WV. Tipped the delivery driver $20 after parking 2 tons in the carpark of our "new" old house. The boy and I got them into the basement - and re-stacked them by hand. Want to have good relationship with the fellow and the supplier. The local ACE supplied our stove and have been supportive and helpful to us newbies and recent yankee immigrants.

I do have a Dodge 2500 van, so might pick up the next ton at ACE ourselves. See how my bones feel.

Getting direct this week so i'll see if I tip. The guy I used the last 3 years before, I gave him a tip..... Don't smoke in bed !

Status
Not open for further replies.