Anyone tried burning coal in Biasi 3Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a Biasi 3Wood 4 section this heating season and have burned a product very similar to Bio Brick called Liberty Bricks. I do not have any place to cut and split wood for free heat and the bricks are an easy and clean way to keep my yard looking nice. I have had good luck with the boiler but really need to tend the fire quite a bit (every 3-5 hrs) depending on the temp outside. Creosote can build up fast even with the dry blocks that we burn. We do not have any storage but can see the advantages of having it. I have toyed with burning coal in it and was wondering if anyone else on the forum has attempted burning coal to get a longer burn time and cut out the creosote? If so, how has it been going and have you heard any news about shaker grates that are supposed to be coming out for this boiler.

I am contemplating a 3 wood 7 as a stand alone furnace. Is your Biasi the only boiler in your system, or do you have a back up oil burner?

If it is the only boiler, maybe you could post a picture of the piping in the back of your Biasi just so I can get an idea how we might set up our system...

Thank you in advance.

JRC

I have my boiler installed in parallel with a Crown Freeport oil fired. I have it set up so the Biasi keeps the other boiler hot and it doesn,t come on unless the fire is low. I have been burning mostly coal when it gets cold, it saves me the many trips to fill up the boiler with wood. You will probably need some sort of storage system so you can burn the Biasi hot otherwise you will create a lot of creosote.

Attachments

• Biasi-Web-Picture.jpg
    Biasi-Web-Picture.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 508
General rule of thumb is that unless an appliance is set up to burn coal, you shouldn't - each type of fuel has different requirements for airflow and such, so it generally doesn't work. That said, I have seen reports from some users that they have been able to burn SOME coal by sprinkling a few handfuls over the top of their wood fire... Not reccomending it as an approach, but it can work.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.