Anyone tried PA Pellets this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorne41

Jan 12, 2009
Central Maine
Hi Folks, has anyone tried PA pellets this Winter? I did a search on the forum and didn't find any info on them, just a few references in brief but nothing specific.

Attachments

• papell1.jpg
    papell1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 372
I am going to assume these are still junk?

I tick above a shoulder season pellet, lots of ash in burn pot, lots of fines in bag. Fines aren't a real big issue for me since I clean all my pellets, before they hit the stove. But for you guys that don't clean & just dump from bag, you would be putting fines in your unit, which won't help it, plus alot of dust in the air while dumping.

I've been using them only because they are available close to me. Gone thru 2 ton. Alot of dust and fines. I filter them before loading in hopper. Would rate them as "OK" but there are better..

chrisasst said:
I am going to assume these are still junk?

Not this years batch-- I tried out a few bags and was really surprised as to how hot they burn.
I'm averaging temps ( output of convection blower) of 255-265 degrees. I liked them so much I bought a ton of them! I've had to mix them up with some Green Supreme to get them to burn a little cooler. my stove shut off twice because of over heat temps( E3 error code running on low), these are the hottest pellets that I've burned including Hamers. Ash is low on the batch I have, but it does smoke up the door glass of the stove. It's been warm lately up here so I've been running straight Green Supreme, the PA pellets are way too hot for this mild weather. I've never had a pellet burn so hot that it overheated my stove on a low setting. I'm impressed! It's my sleeper pellet this year.

There you have it, 2 different results, from the same pellets, in the same stove. You just never know what you are getting and all stoves burn differently. 1 thing for sure so far is, all that have replied so far, have the same stove.

titanracer said:
There you have it, 2 different results, from the same pellets, in the same stove. You just never know what you are getting and all stoves burn differently. 1 thing for sure so far is, all that have replied so far, have the same stove.

So true! The best part is that I bought them $197.00 a ton too. Other forum members have mentioned that there are variances from batch to batch and this may be the case here also. I just replaced the combustion motor in my stove 2 weeks ago, lower auger motor, and cleaned the stove top to bottom and the exhaust piping also, so I'm probably getting top performance from my stove. With the PA pellets, I had to cut my LBF back to 3 and 4 from the factory setting of 5-6, so I'm getting a longer burn time per bag also. My local hardware stove that was selling them sold out last week, someone else tried the PA pellets out and came back and bought the last 5 tons. damn Pellet Pigs! LOL

interesting. The quality probably raised a little because pa and dry creek merged together correct... But people are saying that dry creek has been lowered in quality ( except the super premium). I may have to try some I guess.

gfreek said:
I've been using them only because they are available close to me. Gone thru 2 ton. Alot of dust and fines. I filter them before loading in hopper. Would rate them as "OK" but there are better..

What do you use to filter the pellets before you put them into your stove ? thanks is it home made or store bought ? if you have a picture that would be great

chrisasst said:
interesting. The quality probably raised a little because pa and dry creek merged together correct... But people are saying that dry creek has been lowered in quality ( except the super premium). I may have to try some I guess.

For me, they raised the standard a long way!!! All I can tell ya' is that I'm getting some crazy temps out of them, whether it's just an exceptionally hot batch I have or they've done something right this year. My local hardware store is trying to get some more from them, if they do I'm going to try some of their newer batch and I'll let you know if there's a difference for me.

I wanted to try ths years batch but haven't seen them. They are like 15 miles from me.

I burned 2 tons dry creek last year and have been burning them this year bought 2 ton and they are still working good for me same quality as me and also local to me.

Last year the PA pellets plugged my auger on my quad castile.

The PA's I'm using now I purchased last spring and they are very dusty. Seem more than the previous ton. I filter them before loading the Harman and don't filter before loading the Englander.

Status
Not open for further replies.