Anyone try a cream can cooker on their stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrianK

I just stumbled on two brands of "cream can cookers":
http://cancooker.com/
http://www.ogallalacreamcansupper.com/

They look like a great concept, and there are a lot of cream can meal recipes online.

Has anyone tried one of these can cookers on their wood stove?

I asked the Cancooker website about their product and wood stoves, here is their response:
Brian
Yes we do have numerous folks using on wood burners. Not sure how long it takes to get done due to how hot the stove is etc. but yes it does work as many ice fisherman use on their wood stove as well as hunters in their hunting camps use in there as well.

I have had some folks use with water in to generate steam as I guess they need to add moisture to the air when using and they stated that this works awesome for that as well.
Hope this helps

Seth

On Sep 8, 2012, at 1:46 AM, "Brian" wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I just stumbled on your website and had a quick question. We have a Woodstock soapstone wood stove in our home and I have been looking for ways to use it for cooking should the power go out. The top surface of the soapstone runs 400 to 600 degrees when in use but obviously this is not an open flame or heat source.
>
> Do you have any customers using your products on the top of their wood stoves? Do you think my soapstone stove would generate enough heat to use your cooking method?
>
> Thanks for any advice you can offer!
>
> God bless,
> Brian
> Johnstown PA
:

Reactions: ScotO
I just recently looked into the can cookers from cancookers.com and I think it would work. Search online for the best price as you will definately get variation from one seller to the next. Amazon.com is a good place to look. I'd love to try it but it would cost anywhere from $85 on up and money is tight rite now. I hope to cook with a dutch oven and an oven roaster converted into a stove top oven. I saw these plans in "The Country Journal Woodburner's Cookbook" by Janet Bachard Chadwick. Also lots of recipies for the dutch oven and roaster. John

Reactions: ScotO
That would work perfectly on my modified trivet top. I may have to look into one of those. If for nothing else, I bet putting some cubed venison, potatoes, celery and carrots in that can for a couple hours would make a stew to-die-for......

Reactions: BrianK
an oven roaster converted into a stove top oven. I saw these plans in "The Country Journal Woodburner's Cookbook" by Janet Bachard Chadwick.
Hmmm... I'd like to hear more about that.

looks neat, have to see about getting one.

Hey I just saw an ad for a can cooker for $69.98 on Nextag if anyone is looking for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.