Anyone try burning mulch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wet1

Minister of Fire
Apr 27, 2008
USA
I'll admit, I've stuck all kinds of things in the burn pot before, but I've never fed anything other than wood pellets into the hopper. Stray branches in the lawn sometimes get lopped up into 3" or 4" chunks and tossed in the burn pot when I open the door for cleaning. But I was looking a some nice dry mulch chips the other day (about 3/4" x 3/4") and I couldn't help thinking about feeding some to the pellet stove... boy did that handful burn nice when thrown into the burn pot! Since I have access to all the wood chips I ever wanted, I'm tempted to refeed some of them from the big chipper into the smaller shredder and make little tiny chips out of them and then see if they feed through the stove. I'm sure this wouldn't be ideal "pellet fuel", but it's free (for me anyway) and I know it burns well! I probably will never do it, but it did get me thinking...

Any fellow crazy and adventurous folks (such as Pook) have any idea what will and what will not feed through the auger on these stoves?

CZARCAR said:
im gonna change to czarcar pook so u will have to refer to me ass mr. pook!

Errr, you really want to be called "ass mr. pook"? lmao

Guess I'll have to stick with filling the pot by hand then.

Mr CzarPooknDAssCar, why not use rice coal (rather than pea coal) since it's the same size as pellets and feeds fine through the auger?

I'm surprised that you haven't seen the RED text from Eric, Warning about burning what your stove is rated for!

Wouldn't coal in a pellet stove, Be a little dangerous???

Wood chips or mulch would be interesting, Might be able to chip your own fuel!!

jay

guess you don't know pook too well. he'll do just about anything for kicks. If there's anything you want tested, he's your guinea pig!

Status
Not open for further replies.