Anyone try one of these?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only wonder why you want to fight against the strongest resistance what you can find in the tree, if there is the way how to beat it more easy.
After all there is no way that you could put the half block to your fireplace.
You right, it is easier to split off the edges especially with the Vipukirves/Leveraxe, because the safety elements stop the blade on the top of the block without the fear that you might hurt yourself.

I dont know, why is the guy with the fiskars going head to head with the lever axe doing it?;)

Safety is nice , but paying 300 dollars for it seems unreasonable seeing as Ive split many cords of wood and have never had any dangerous encounters with my axe

But you should also understand that we typically burn larger splits than over the pond. In your video above of splitting the elm round - the medium sized round was split into 24 pieces (yes, I counted). It would have been a max of about 8 if I were splitting it. That alone changes the splitting style and approach to the log.

I can't go on. To further this discussion I might be seen as bashing this product - and that is not my intentions. I will let it go at - This tool was tested in the hands of several experienced hand splitters from the states. Many reported good results when in ideal wood. MOST reported poor results in some of our (USA) more difficult woods and more frustration than if typical maul type splitter were used.

I fully understand, that the splitting technique is not very clear for everybody, because nearly everything are done the opposite way comparing to the conventional way. The Man has splitted wood since the stone age with the same method (Wedge). All the sudden there is an other way to do it. Of course there is scepticism, but after really testing and realizing the idea there will be no doubts any more.
I have met many very highly skilled persons in many fairs and markets. They tried the test axe like they had used to do with their conventional axes. Not much happened. After a few advise they could split the wood so, than never before. It's question about technique.

It is also the question of the end product. I have no use for 5 cords of tooth picks.
Aint that the truth. and that Elm being split aint the same as what I dump from corn field fence rows here in Iowa that's fer sure. Like splittin a bowl full of noodles some times.

Reactions: Jags
Fin, do you have a video of someone using your device with one hand only? If you look at my avatar you will see why.

Also, an answer to Tree's question would be nice.
The Leveraxe is recommended to hold with two hands because of safety reasons. Too many people have cut their fingers by holding the block with the other hand. There has happened NO ACCIDENT with the Leveraxe.
It will take some time for me to understand the Tree's message, you see I am not native English, so I must study the language all the time.

But you should also understand that we typically burn larger splits than over the pond. In your video above of splitting the elm round - the medium sized round was split into 24 pieces (yes, I counted). It would have been a max of about 8 if I were splitting it. That alone changes the splitting style and approach to the log.

you see I am not native English,

No worries - your non-native English is much better than any secondary language I can muster.;)

Reactions: firefighterjake
FINLAND, I do appreciate your information and am always am open to learning about new tools and techniques.

My question about disclosing your connections to the Leveraxe was to let all readers know why you are a fan and apologist of this tool. More directly, we would like to know if you have a financial interest in the success of the Leveraxe. Do you or anyone connected to you (friends, family, business associates) stand to make any money or benefit in any manner in the success or sales of this product?

There's nothing wrong with promoting a product and I'm all for people making money in their business. It is, however, proper to disclose connections to a product that you are championing. In many forums, it is considered rude and even trolling not to disclose such information.

Reactions: GENECOP
Simply put, Do you work for or own the leveraxe company is the question

FINLAND, I do appreciate your information and am always am open to learning about new tools and techniques.

My question about disclosing your connections to the Leveraxe was to let all readers know why you are a fan and apologist of this tool. More directly, we would like to know if you have a financial interest in the success of the Leveraxe. Do you or anyone connected to you (friends, family, business associates) stand to make any money or benefit in any manner in the success or sales of this product?

There's nothing wrong with promoting a product and I'm all for people making money in their business. It is, however, proper to disclose connections to a product that you are championing. In many forums, it is considered rude and even trolling not to disclose such information.
That's what I'm thinkin. While his heart is probably in the right place when it comes to passing along information on a better way to do things Mr. Finland may not have a grasp on the American way of doing things and the amount of skepticism we have with such things any more. I'm 3rd generation German in this country so I can kinda understand his wanting to make his point. I at times have the "It's my way or the highway" problem myself. But the more you argue the point the less people listen. And at 300 bucks a pop you aint gonna get to many ears open iffn you keep arguing. Just my 2 cents worth and if you don't like it, hit the highway. Just kiddin.

Lucky you.

I wouldn't consider myself lucky, it's just very difficult to swing an axe into your legs if you're using a normal length axe

From his past posts, it seems Mr. Finland may be the owner of or otherwise have a stake in this product. All of his posts on hearth.com have been promoting the axe. I don't know the hearth policy on this, but Treepointer is right, lots of forums have rules against that type of posting

Hello
Something about myself.
I used to be as an air traffic controller and pilot. I have worked in many countries.
In 1969 I was in Benin, Cotonou, West Africa working for the International Red Cross as a flight operation officer during the Biafran war.
In 1976 was going to Angola to create Red Cross airlift. Cancelled because of the situation got better in the country.
Was going to Kambodza during the crises, but they closed the borders for many years. The international Red Cross didn't get in.
1980-81 Air traffic controller Saudi Arabia Riad.
1981-83 Air traffic controller Malesia, Kuala Lumpur.
1984 Air traffic controller Qatar, Doha.
1984-1995 Air traffic controller Helsinki, Finland
Retired March 1995.
Read this.http://vipukirves.fi/english/tale_of_vipukirves.htm
So I invented the Vipukirves/Leveraxe.
I worked hard to make this invention possible for everybody.
During these years I have made several patents concerning this invention.
I made the company when I was 65.
I decided to make the best available tool also technically. There is no way that this tool could be made in some cheap production country.
This has been a real struggle against envy and scepticism.
I do not pay any salary for myself.
I consider this as my pension hobby.
I do not play golf.
There is a theoretical possibility, that somebody will gain something about this some day.
I do not need money. I am happy with my pension.
In my value scale money is no even close to the top.
Important is healthy, helping other people, good relationship to wife and other people.
I do not want to fight or argue with anybody.
I have never told anybody to buy my invention.
I have made my best to explain how this invention operates.
I have told about the advantages what it offers.
I am no taking anything away from anybody.
I am trying to give a safe , enjoyable, effective and easy way to split the firewood.
My opinion is that it is everybody's benefit.
I give this information free of charge.
As return I often get a lot chit straight to my face.
Never mind, I know that I am going on right track.
I have 67 years experience in splitting firewood
Here is a story.
Once upon a time there were a group of very wise men sitting under a Platan tree.
They were arguing whether the globe was round or flat. The majority won. So the globe was flat for the next 150 years.
Until, people discovered it to be round after all. Copernicus was the only one in the group , who was right.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolaus_Copernicus
My grand mother was Polish. Who knows, maybe I'm related to Copernicus.
Hopefully this question will be cleared before 150 years has passed. I am now 74 and the owner of the company as well I am the inventor.
I know most of this invention. Why don't you you take your chances and get all the possible information for free. You are not there any more after 150 years when all the firewood are splitted with the Vipukirves/Leveraxe.
You do not have to buy this tool. It is totally under your decision. It does not hurt anybody to learn something new.
I will attach some links to enable more information about this subject.
Take or leave it, the choice is yours
I wish you all the best from Finland.
Regards
Heikki, the inventor

PS. Something to look and listen

http://www.mnn.com/family/protection-safety/stories/weve-been-splitting-wood-all-wrong

http://vipukirves.fi/english/description.htm

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ol57Y57-mw&start1=0&video2=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJt-UR9f_a4&feature=channel&list=UL&start2&authorName=meahwahwah

http://videodoubler.com/combo/40344

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vipukirves&sm=12

https://www.google.fi/search?q=leveraxe&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:fi:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=QE_MUpOTFaGTywO77YHABg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/VIPUKIRVESLEVERAXE/112802602087540

http://www.networx.com/article/weve-been-splitting-wood-all-wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: GENECOP
FINLAND, all you had to say is that you invented the axe and own the company that makes it. That's all a disclosure would be.

I hold inventors, manufacturers, and business owners in high esteem. They contribute jobs and to the advancement of society. If a lot of people like your invention and you make a lot of money from it, that is a good thing.

Reactions: bigbarf48
I only wonder why you want to fight against the strongest resistance what you can find in the tree, if there is the way how to beat it more easy.
I think differences in stoves may account for some of the differences. Plenty of people like larger pieces of dried wood for their woodstoves it seems: get it dry, get it lit and let it cruise...
However in a place where masonry heaters, not EPA steel stoves, are the norm. Smaller pieces are better so as to keep the firehot and raging during the burn....
So I think there are plenty of people who say 'cool, but I'm not splitting my round into 16 pieces of kindling"...Whereas I hear in a masonry stove you want that smaller diameter wood (hence corpicing/pollarding in Europe).

Some people put quarters, halves or full rounds in their stoves...So four good whacks with the maul gets er done. I bet in the same amount of time it takes to get 20 pieces from the leveraxe.
Don't get offended, just different needs for fuel diameter...So what seems as God's gift to the woodheater to you, isn't more than a gimmick to 99% of American woodheaters.

And since this site is a steel stove dominated place...Don't be surprised when no one here cares about it.
Think about your target market in America...Is small currently. Especially because we're American and people will take 4 times as long, if need be, to use a hydraulic splitter, just so they don't have to swing an axe.

Because one good whack takes away the strongest resistance, and then it's all downhill from there.
But I can generate a lot of force with a 12# maul. And it don't take a lot of energy to gently raise it above my head, just got to slow down the accelerator on the lift.

Don't get me wrong, looks cool...I think you just found the wrong crowd.

I personally would like to try it. Finland quartered a couple of his rounds even though mostly seemed to be straight grained stuff. I would like to see how it handles some gnarly stuff but at it's current price of $300 bucks too much to "try".

If it was $25 or 30 at Home Depot I might futz around with it just for kicks and giggles. But for 300 clams I got an electric splitter at the same place. I'm happy with that purchase.

I do agree with sometimes not just plowing into the dead center of a round, but I suspect I'm preaching to the choir.

If it was $25 or 30 at Home Depot I might futz around with it just for kicks and giggles. But for 300 clams I got an electric splitter at the same place. I'm happy with that purchase.

I do agree with sometimes not just plowing into the dead center of a round, but I suspect I'm preaching to the choir.

The price of the Vipukirves/Leveraxe.
The price of the axe is 155.74 EUR. This equals 213.47 USD. 238.84 CAD.The price has been the same over 8 years. Shipping &handling is 47.26 EUR. This equals 64.779 USD. 72.327 CAD. http://easyconverter.net/currency/
There is quite a big water between Finland and American continent. The shipping comes via air freight and will be delivered to your shipping address.
Best regards
Heikki, the inventor

I personally would like to try it. Finland quartered a couple of his rounds even though mostly seemed to be straight grained stuff. I would like to see how it handles some gnarly stuff but at it's current price of $300 bucks too much to "try".
I haven't found any "gnarly stuff" for the Leveraxe, but I clearly remember the times, when I had to use the conventional axes and mauls. That is why I created the Leveraxe.
How come, I have a feeling, that we are talking more about money than the Leveraxe?
Buying a Leveraxe is not compulsory, it is an alternative.

I think differences in stoves may account for some of the differences. Plenty of people like larger pieces of dried wood for their woodstoves it seems: get it dry, get it lit and let it cruise...
However in a place where masonry heaters, not EPA steel stoves, are the norm. Smaller pieces are better so as to keep the firehot and raging during the burn....
So I think there are plenty of people who say 'cool, but I'm not splitting my round into 16 pieces of kindling"...Whereas I hear in a masonry stove you want that smaller diameter wood (hence corpicing/pollarding in Europe).

Some people put quarters, halves or full rounds in their stoves...So four good whacks with the maul gets er done. I bet in the same amount of time it takes to get 20 pieces from the leveraxe.
Don't get offended, just different needs for fuel diameter...So what seems as God's gift to the woodheater to you, isn't more than a gimmick to 99% of American woodheaters.

And since this site is a steel stove dominated place...Don't be surprised when no one here cares about it.
Think about your target market in America...Is small currently. Especially because we're American and people will take 4 times as long, if need be, to use a hydraulic splitter, just so they don't have to swing an axe.
It's all the same in what size the wood is. There is exactly the same energy per unit of weight whether the wood in small kindling or bigger size blocks.
The question is, how you can take most of the energy to your own advantage instead of letting it go out of the chimney.
I wouldn't bother to swing an axe either, but the Leveraxe is totally a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.