anyone use a FISHER as a fireplace insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
30 first fire 2007-2008.jpg

LIke the siggy says, Englander 30-NC.

The best is JE Rice Hardware in Manassas.

ok, I see you have quite an arsenal in your signature. Wasnt sure which it was.

What I have is a bad habit and a big time need to sell some stoves. ;lol

TRX680 what do you have in mind? Welcome to Hearth.

I want to upgrade from what I have now. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442426_200442426
Its just not big enough. The wood burns out too fast and I'm always reloading it after a few hours. Its nice but just too small.

So I want something larger of course and one that isnt too large to fit into my fireplace. I need it to not be too tall or too deep

Here are my dimensions of my fireplace
40"deep
30" wide
26" tall

Sorry, didn't see your join date. Are you wanting to get away from an insert? How deep is your hearth?

How much hearth in front of the face of the FP? Enough to put a stove on without it being inside the FP?

Member Coaly on the pre-epa forum can tell you anything you want to know about fishers. And probably provide any dimensions.

A WoodStock Fireview, for example, should set out on the hearth far enough to work. Lots of options. If you need big fire power cheap, I'd look into an Englander NC-30 and trim the legs off. About the same price as your Fisher link, more efficient-less wood.

Those Fishers are around 40 years old. Not that I'm knocking them, I'm sure they have done a good job of keeping families warm (see avatar). Unless they've been horribly abuse, they should go for another 40 years no problem. Just not very efficient, burn lots of wood, make lots of smoke and creosote unless burner very hot.

I dont know whats efficient or what works best.
Growing up we had a three story house and a Fisher 2-door stove and it heated the whole house. Mom still uses that Fisher today, in different house, but it still heats great. I'm not sure of the efficiency of it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.