Anyone use a manometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkirk22

Nov 20, 2007
VA Mountains
I'm curious. Does anyone use a manometer to measure draft?

Is there one pressure differential number that's right or does the draft spec vary between stoves?

I have a couple very accurate pressure sensors in my toolbox of nerd chit so wiring one up is not a big issue. Also I think I may have an overdraft issue and I'm wondering if a draft reading would help me figure out how much to close off the secondary air.

I think we have a few on here that either actively use - or have used - manometers to measure the draft. If you have a sensor, it would be a neat project to hook up and see how the stove runs. Although the overall accuracy of the sensor doesn't mean much in this application - the big factors are going to be the range of the sensor (most stoves draft in the .02-.06 inches of water range) and the precision of the sensor - you want to be able to get the same reading at the same draft every time.

We, of course, have multiple pressure sensors (Inclined manometers and electronic pressure transmitters) here and obviously use them to measure draft extensively.

If you're measuring your draft, we can give you a pretty good idea if you're overdrafting or not, based on what we usually see from the stove in the lab.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll plan on doing this for next year. What sort of draft numbers should I have for a 13NCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.