Anyone use a pail or bucket to pour in/store a bag of pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to their website and they are no more! The business is for sale, hell with the pails!!

I have an old pickle crock that holds almost 2 bags I just scoop them into the stove. I was thinking of an idea similar to Proulx06's idea. I could design it I don't know if I could build it.

This is what I use, can't remember where I got it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 265
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 260
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 240
I use 2 black buckets I got at Lowes. They don't hold that much, but it keeps some dust out of the house and let's me have a couple buckets reDy to dump in the stove. They are by the grilling/stove items.

null_zpse4e96d6b.jpg
This is what I use also.

For a while I used a basket lined with plastic. I wasn't happy with the prospect of the cats getting into it so I went back to using a coal scuttle.

41HWUYVHMgL._SX355_.jpg

Holds about 1/3 of a bag, which is just fine. I fill the stove from the bag and put the remainder in the scuttle. Then I can top up the stove from this.
I started doing this because my back bothers me and lifting the bag isn't always an option. I sometimes have to use my grain scoop to fill the scuttle that I then pour into the stove. That keeps the amount of lifting down.

51GAaIuRGEL._SY355_.jpg

Reactions: fmsm
I use an old metal coal bucket which hold 15 Lbs. works for me.
Same here, my stove being a insert has a small slit about 2" wide and 2' long to pour pellets thru, could never just pour a bag into it

I bought 2 reconditioned plastic barrels with the metal band around the top. One is 55 gal and holds 8 bags, other is 35 gal and holds 5 bags, I like having enough to outlast a bad snow and anytime a storm is coming I top them both off and fill stove gives me 14.5 bags.
I like both, and use a feed scoop to load into hopper. Only thing bad so far is reaching the bottom to scoop last bag out of the 55 gal one, the 35 gal is my favorite and doing it over would of got 2 of that size.

Didnt have the pics before. This is what I use. The cans stay in the garage and hold a total of 20 bags combined, use the scoop to fill the coal buckets and carry them to the stove. Simple!

Attachments

• stove3.JPG
    stove3.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 211
  • stove2.JPG
    stove2.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 224
  • stove1.JPG
    stove1.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 218
Status
Not open for further replies.