anyone use B vent for an air tight wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lotust

Dec 3, 2007
ny
does anyone know the temp of an air tight lange wood stove vent pipe? Lets say from 5 feet away from the source. I would like to use some B vent I have allready.

thanks

NO!

Read the manual and follow what it says. Your stove can be hooked to three things: A safe masonry chimney, a Class A chimney and double wall/single wall stove pipe. That's it. No pellet vent, no b-vent, no galvanized, no sewer pipe, no PVC.

No can do.

A stove like the Lange is rated same as other woodstove, for continuous 1000 F.
B vent is aluminum, which would melt very quickly at the 1400, 1700 and 2100 test temperatures of the chimney needed for you unit.

You need chimney tested to UL HT 103, or approved and lined masonry site-built.

It was my grandfathers stove. Why is it ok to use the black pipe then? They had regular non insulated stainless there too. The B vent I saw was galvanized.

thanks

Black pipe is OK to be used as a "chimney connector" inside, to go from the stove to the chimney - that is all. And it needs to be a certain distance from the wall, usually 18".

It cannot be used through walls or on the exterior - just to connect to the "real" things.

Webmaster said:
Black pipe is OK to be used as a "chimney connector" inside, to go from the stove to the chimney - that is all. And it needs to be a certain distance from the wall, usually 18".

It cannot be used through walls or on the exterior - just to connect to the "real" things.

Thanks for the tips. It MAY be cheaper in my case for me to make the chimney out of block and then side it with Vinyl to match the house.

Webmaster said:
Please check the masonry codes. Exterior chimney must have 1" of clearance to combustibles, so you cannot mount wood furring strips (for siding) to it, etc.
Perhaps steel ones. Check with your code official.
2" clearance if the chimney is interior to the home.

Thanks MrAdmin. You are great!

Status
Not open for further replies.