Anyone use "Instant-Heat" Pellets? How are they?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

requin

Apr 26, 2008
Montague, MA
These are on special for $235 (plus del). I've not heard of the brand and can't find much info on them online. Anyone? A friend is saying Green Supreme are the ones to go with but those are $250 a ton (plus del) so I'm not sure which way to go. Hoping others may have tried Instant Heat (I saw some threads on green supreme and opinions seem mixed). I really want to get my pellets bought this weekend because the good prices won't last.

I have a new Harman Accentra 2 stove (installed last summer).

Nevermind. I got 3 tons for $615 (total cost, inclusive) of NEWPs at NEw England Pellet LLC.

good luck requin, I've been looking at their website and kind of waiting because I never tried the NEWP on my stove, wish some Englanger stove owners can chime in on their experience using the NEWP on their stove.

I tried the Barefoot and liked it but the guy ran out and they were $$ higher at $224/ton.

thanks. I've used NEWP before in my old Whitfield, but I used so many brands over those 8 years, I didn't keep track of which ones burned best. I think I recall friends mentioning they liked the NEWP. Anyway, I have never experienced any brand of pellets that were total crap (maybe I've just been lucky) so even if they were the worst I've used in the past (which I doubt), I'll be ok with them. The price is right for sure.

I have a Harman Accentra now...just got it last summer and used Ambiance pellets last year. That's what the dealer had so that's what I got. Average I think. Hard to say with new stove, as yet. I was told by the dealer that with the new stoves, any brand of pellet burns well. That may or may not be true, but its probably true that the newer stoves are more efficient than my old Whitfield. Although that baby did put out some grand heat at times.

geek said:
I tried the Barefoot and liked it but the guy ran out and they were $$ higher at $224/ton.

wow that's still a very good price for a ton of pellets around here.

plus $75 for shipping for 1st ton and $10 each additional ton.....so the price would be $257/ton if I bought 3 tons.......

I have only burnt about 4 bags of the Instant Heat, there ok I greatly prefer the NEWP tan/red bag. I used the NEWP supreme green also they put out great heat and didn't have much ash I seemed to burn these faster for the same feed rate. I am running an older Austroflaam in a 2100sf older house.

that's just what Steve at New England Wood Pellet LLC said. That green supreme will burn hotter but faster.

I got a ton of green supreme and 2 tons of NEWP and I figure I"ll mix and match depending on weather.

uuh oh, I have always burned NEWP and I like them, but I have been trying to stock up for next winter and have been unable to find them and was informed that they have suspended deliveries because they cannot meet demmand. So I went and bought a trailer load, yes a trailer load, 22 tons of Instant Heat Pellets. I read the post that only 1 person has burned 4 bags and they are just OK. Anyone else have any more input ? Or did I just make a huge mistake?

BIG MAC said:
uuh oh, I have always burned NEWP and I like them, but I have been trying to stock up for next winter and have been unable to find them and was informed that they have suspended deliveries because they cannot meet demmand. So I went and bought a trailer load, yes a trailer load, 22 tons of Instant Heat Pellets. I read the post that only 1 person has burned 4 bags and they are just OK. Anyone else have any more input ? Or did I just make a huge mistake?

Are these the "Instant Heat Pellets" made in Addison, NY??

If so....

When I purchased my stove last fall, I could have taken a $400 "rebate" or received 2 tons of pellets for free. At the time, the free pellets made the most sense so I took the pellets. They were "Instant Heat Pellets", Addison NY.

I had to pick the pellets up so, I know exactly how they were handled, I know the outer plastic wrap was in tack when I picked them up, and I physically took them off the pallets and put them in the back of my pickup truck.

That said, I would estimate 2%-3% of the bags' weight was uncompressed sawdust. Not just the light fly-away dust, but actual uncompress pellet sawdust. Pellet sizes ranged from 1/4" to 2". There would be times when the auger cycled, I'd get nothing by sawdust dropping from the shoot. The high volume of sawdust also caused problems in the pellet hopper. I would regularly have to open the hopper lid to push the pellets off the sides of the hopper, if I didn't the pellets would form into a cone down to the auger and the stove would go out, despite having 30-40 lbs still in the hopper.

Giving Instant Heat the "benefit of the doubt", I suspect the product I received was likely some of the first that they produced as they have only recently opened. Hopefully they worked out some of these problems. I for one, would not buy them by the ton unless I knew they were of better quality than those I received last fall.

To reply, no I don't have a big house but I do have indoor storage space in an outer building so the 22 tons will last me a while. Also I paid $230/ton. There seem to be no deals around for quantity since they are in high demand. T-BoneMan thanks for the detailed info on the pellets. I'm not feeling to good about taking delivery of these tomorrow morning. I'm going to have to do some serious thinking today whether to cancel or not. Besides the sawdust issue did they burn well when you could keep the stove going?

Generally, speaking, yes, they burned well. Ash was no more or less than other brands. Clinkers, also were on par with other brands I used last year.

Interesting, the price you quoted for 22 tons is about what they retailed for last winter around my area (per ton). Admittedly, the plant is only a couple hours away.

Confirm also, that the are "Instantheat" brand. The company name does not have a space between "instant" and "heat".

Yes they are Instanheat pellets with no space between the words from Addison NY. I got my 22 tons this morning. Opened a bag and dumped them into a bucket to check out the sawdust residue reported and I was pleasantly surprised. Sawdust content was what I am used to with NEWP and the uniformity of the pellets was pretty good. It's 100 degrees today so I'm not going to see how they burn. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the fall but so far so good.

BIG MAC said:
Yes they are Instanheat pellets with no space between the words from Addison NY. I got my 22 tons this morning. Opened a bag and dumped them into a bucket to check out the sawdust residue reported and I was pleasantly surprised. Sawdust content was what I am used to with NEWP and the uniformity of the pellets was pretty good. It's 100 degrees today so I'm not going to see how they burn. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the fall but so far so good.

Good to hear that the product you have is of better quality. Like I said, the batch I had may have been some of the first off the line after the plant opened. The price still seems a bit high, especially for 22 tons!

Do they still have a handle molded into the top of the bag? I really liked that. I could easily carry two bags at once.

No unfortunately just plain old bags. Those handle top bags sound like a good idea. Believe it or not the lowest price I've seen around here is 229/ton and they go as high as 270/ton. Like I said earlier there's no deal for quantity buying because of the shortage, in fact some places have a 4 ton maximum allowed. If they have them in stock they don't have to worry about selling them. I know a couple of people who just went out and bought stoves and can't find pellets.

For what it's worth a friend of mine is building a new pellet man. plant in the Finger lakes area and will be in production around August 1st. I'll post more information when I have it.

Thx.

owlpond said:
It will be located in the Geneva Area (between Phelps, NY and Geneva, NY).

I would assume they will be getting their scrap/saw dust from CCN International, a furniture manufacture in Geneva.

I "hope" this is all good for central/upstate NY. I worry though, that we could be closing in on saturating the market with pellet mills in this area. That's now 4 plants within 90 miles of Syracuse (as the crow flies). I know we have many wood processing industries in the area, but it is hard to believe that they can sustain all of these mills.

Status
Not open for further replies.