Anyone use the kobalt 80v chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sepulvd

Dec 27, 2014
Oak harbor, wa
I am deciding to buy myself a saw and thinking about the kobalt or the greenworks 80v. Its pretty much the same saw. Has anyone use either of this two

I am deciding to buy myself a saw and thinking about the kobalt or the greenworks 80v. Its pretty much the same saw. Has anyone use either of this two

I've no experience with battery saws. However I watched a video on the greenworks 80v saw and was impressed by what I saw. First of 80v and a brushless motor ! That's a lot of power for an electric set up. The saw looked well constructed even sporting an all metal handle ( where most all saws in that price range have plastic handles)

My only concern would be the run time. I think they got 30 minutes and that will depend on the wood your cutting. And it only comes with one battery so I think if you buy it you may want an extra battery (or 2 ) on hand.

I suppose for occasional use if your in the city and have noise restrictions a battery saw may make sense, but only if your cutting needs are small. That said they say that saw is equal to 45cc and I believe it based on the video. For a battery saw the video was impressive. Is there a specific reason your not wanting a gas saw ? Also I would want to know the life expectancy of the battery. If your replacing batteries every year that's gonna get expensive.

If they could get more run time out if these I can see this technology being used on a climbing top handle saw. As a guy who still works part time on a tree crew for extra side money, not having a climber way up in a tree then running out of gas, lowering the saw , to have a groundie fill it up, then back up to climber......could be nice for climbing saws to run on battery power. The climber can stuff an extra battery or two if they are small enough into pants pocket. Just an idea.

Hopefully someone who has run one of these battery saws will offer some real valuable input.

My son in law is a house builder and he gets about 6 months on a battery, much less if it's the lower capacity ones. The good batteries are highway robbery, well over a hundred bucks around here.
If love to have a battery chainsaw for working on an extension ladder.

Only reason i want it instead of gas saw is i might use 4 or 5 times in a year. I usally get wood in rounds that are 20in long so no need to buck them. And i dont drop trees. More for just incase i need a saw

I've had the Greenworks 80V since last fall and really like it. Bottom line, it's ideal for occasional use where you want something that's super convenient, easy to start, ready to use on a moment's notice, and free of the normal gasoline engine maintenance issues. It's not as good for marathon bucking sessions unless you buy a bunch of batteries and can recharge your empties as you cycle through them. I went with the Greenworks 80V because I wanted an 18" bar but there are cheaper options (like Echo and Ego 56V saws and a 40V Greenworks) if you can make do with 14"-16" bars.

If I were going to go electric, I would really look hard at if I needed the cordless or if I could live with a cord. Batteries never seem to hold up the way you want them to and are expensive.

If you don't plan to chop far from your house, corded electric saws work great.

If you don't plan to chop far from your house, corded electric saws work great.

Don't confuse us ... you did mean to say Cut ... not Chop ?
Saws have that buzzing noise as to a chop noise from an axe!

Yes, cut. Or maybe saw would be even more accurate.

Don't confuse us ... you did mean to say Cut ... not Chop ?
Saws have that buzzing noise as to a chop noise from an axe!
Reminds me of an old joke. A guy goes to a hardware store on Friday and buys a chainsaw. He comes back on Monday and says he wants to return the saw. The clerk asks him what the problem is and the guy replies that the saw just isn't cutting very fast--he was using it all weekend long and barely got any wood cut. So the clerk says let's see what the problem is, and he fires up the saw. The customer jumps back in a panic and goes, "what's that noise??!!" :p

Reminds me of an old joke. A guy goes to a hardware store on Friday and buys a chainsaw. He comes back on Monday and says he wants to return the saw. The clerk asks him what the problem is and the guy replies that the saw just isn't cutting very fast--he was using it all weekend long and barely got any wood cut. So the clerk says let's see what the problem is, and he fires up the saw. The customer jumps back in a panic and goes, "what's that noise??!!" :p

Men from Maine !

Status
Not open for further replies.