Anyone using a chimney cap with their Seton/Greenwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JMann

Jun 27, 2008
Southern PA
Yesterday the person working for the company installing my steel chimney for the Seton stopped by to review the job before installing tomorrow. He looked at me as if I had three heads when I told him that I did not want him to install a chimney cap. He stated that rain can enter and rust the lining, birds/squirrels can nest and/or leaves can enter to clog if I don't go with one.

My chimney is going to be approx 25ft tall with 8in double wall stainless on the exterior. It is near a hemlock, but will not under it. Other than that I have a few deciduous trees located downwind.

Does anyone here operate a Seton or Greenwood with a cap? If so, are you having any creosote buildup? I know that they were designed to use as much natural draft as possible so that may already answer my question. I do get a lot of wind where my property is located so maybe the cap could help with efficiency so that all of the heat doesn't go up and out.

Or this guy could be blowing smoke up my a$$ to make a few extra bucks on selling me the cap.

Opinions?

Last year was my first year. I thought I was having a draft problem, turns out I needed to clear the ash from in front of the intake holes. I bought another 4' length anyway. Turns out I had too much draft. With no cap all Winter.
Went back on line last Friday, with a cap, without the added 4' section.
Working fine so far. Too early to tell if creosote is a problem.
Buy the cap anyway, put it on in the off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.