Anyone using Dog shock collars?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kettensäge said:
smokinjay said:
Try it on my self on the top level. Just wanted to know before hitting the dog with it. This should work fine!

Please tell us more!!!!

Pics or it didn't happen :)

Not a true test unless you put it around your neck.

SolarAndWood said:
kettensäge said:
smokinjay said:
Try it on my self on the top level. Just wanted to know before hitting the dog with it. This should work fine!

Please tell us more!!!!

I agree. Crank it to 11.

I have a really high pain tolerance for most things, but I'm a wimp when it comes to getting shocked. I think a shock collar would drop me like a hot brick. But you go ahead and let us know just to be sure...

lukem said:
SolarAndWood said:
kettensäge said:
smokinjay said:

Please tell us more!!!!

I agree. Crank it to 11.

I have a really high pain tolerance for most things, but I'm a wimp when it comes to getting shocked. I think a shock collar would drop me like a hot brick. But you go ahead and let us know just to be sure...

Ok here's the scoop. I tested it on my self first on High. Wow big shock. Then let the dog out to see what would happen. Full boost didnt even turn her head. This thing only work one time to shock the crap out of me and the dog got a 3 hour Saturday night! Sent it back!

kettensäge said:
smokinjay said:

Please tell us more!!!!

I'd say VIDEO or it didn't happen! Then we can freeze frame on your best facial expressions.

-SF

please do yourself a favor and go to www.leerburg.com before using a collar. you will learn the correct way to use it and your dog will be better I would work on your recall and a better understanding of a NO command. having your dog have a better bond is the way to go.

i have a dogtra collar and i used it as a training tool to make sure he minds me and nothing else.

using it the way u did your dog has no clue what it is getting corrected for. took me a month of studying and learning how to use a collar even before i ever put it on mine.

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
SolarAndWood said:
kettensäge said:
smokinjay said:

Please tell us more!!!!

I agree. Crank it to 11.

Ok here's the scoop. I tested it on my self first on High. Wow big shock. Then let the dog out to see what would happen. Full boost didnt even turn her head. This thing only work one time to shock the crap out of me and the dog got a 3 hour Saturday night! Sent it back!

Jay, my collar will put a full grown Rott or Pitt Bull in full pursuit up on their hind legs. Something doesn't add up there.

X2,
That's why I got rid of mine. Too inconsistant to train with.
Not sure if it was the remote, collar or good contact with the dogs neck.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
SolarAndWood said:
kettensäge said:
smokinjay" date="1318730789 said:

Please tell us more!!!!

I agree. Crank it to 11.

Jay, my collar will put a full grown Rott or Pitt Bull in full pursuit up on their hind legs. Something doesn't add up there.

It work one time......On me! :bug: Big Joilt...... When I put it on the dog I guess thats when it stop working. Could not get the light to come back on. I return that one and will try a better one after refund.

Jay, take a look at the Dogtra collars. They can be pricey but worth every penny. They have the ability to work up to a mile, but my experience is they work very well up to about a 1/4 mile or so and are spotty at longer distances. Once you get a working collar the trick is to be sure the prongs contact the skin. If you get the right model for the job there is no dog that this will not work on. As has been said before, the key is timing. The dog must associate the shock with your command. The dog heads for the pond. You say no, the dog looks at you and decides you are too far to enforce your will on her. At that moment where she turns back to head to the pond you shock her and tell her no again. Repeat if necessary. If you do it right most dogs only need it a couple times until they get the point. Most importantly, the shock should not be overused and should be only reserved for the worst behaviors.

Good luck!

Trail_Time said:
... If you do it right most dogs only need it a couple times until they get the point. ...
How well do these things work? Our dog was crowned King of the bad puppies, and then we started using the collar. As others and I have said previously, very few actual shocks were needed in order for her to fully get the picture, and now just vibrate works almost every time. When I'm working outside splitting, she wanders around the property, and often goes into another row of wood where I can't see her. After a while I'll say come, and then repeat once louder, in case she's off into the woods. But sometimes she will be just a row or 2 away, and have a squirrel or chipmunk lined up (her favorite thing in the world). When that happens she will ignore me, but not make a sound (I guess she figures - hey - can't you smell me - I'm right next to you). So not knowing where she is, I start taking the remote control out of my pocket. Well, I can't hear any sound from doing that, but she sure does, and comes RACING around the corner before I even have a chance to turn it on :lol:.

Shave the neck and spray it wet with a windex bottle .
Don't ask how I know . Club initiations are a beech! Works on dogs too.
You can make a lanyard out of baler twine to go around their chest and back to keep it in place . Some dogs hate the lanyard! The lanyard may be enough to make them forget about heading for the pond.

preciseLEE said:
Shave the neck and spray it wet with a windex bottle .
Don't ask how I know . Club initiations are a beech! Works on dogs too.
You can make a lanyard out of baler twine to go around their chest and back to keep it in place . Some dogs hate the lanyard! The lanyard may be enough to make them forget about heading for the pond.

lol, I order the dogtra Iq this time, this time I win.....(I hope) But after me being the only one to get shock so far its worth it if someone else gets to feel it!
Be here Friday! Hate spending money but something has to be done. If it dont work its twine! I feel like W. E. Coyote

http://www.dogtra.com/

willworkforwood said:
Trail_Time said:
... If you do it right most dogs only need it a couple times until they get the point. ...
How well do these things work? Our dog was crowned King of the bad puppies, and then we started using the collar. As others and I have said previously, very few actual shocks were needed in order for her to fully get the picture, and now just vibrate works almost every time. When I'm working outside splitting, she wanders around the property, and often goes into another row of wood where I can't see her. After a while I'll say come, and then repeat once louder, in case she's off into the woods. But sometimes she will be just a row or 2 away, and have a squirrel or chipmunk lined up (her favorite thing in the world). When that happens she will ignore me, but not make a sound (I guess she figures - hey - can't you smell me - I'm right next to you). So not knowing where she is, I start taking the remote control out of my pocket. Well, I can't hear any sound from doing that, but she sure does, and comes RACING around the corner before I even have a chance to turn it on :lol:.

It's amazing how well just the vibrate works once they know what comes next.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
It work one time......On me! :bug: Big Joilt...... When I put it on the dog I guess thats when it stop working. Could not get the light to come back on. I return that one and will try a better one after refund.

Gotcha. Tritronics Pro 100 is rock solid after many years of daily use.

$100 with an hour left...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TriTronics-...531?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336d194c23

Wow went for under 200.00 thats pretty good. If this one not right it will go back too. I am now close to 200.00 what the heck. The last one I did buy off ebay said it was new, but thesre is No Way it was New!

smokinjay said:
I am now close to 200.00 what the heck.

Think of it as an 880 caliber investment

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
I am now close to 200.00 what the heck.

Think of it as an 880 caliber investment

Yea I am already there! This one should be a Little better life time warranty. (Or 5 years after its discontinued ) The other hand if its not right out of the box its going back.

Stroll down memory lane: Had a young German shepherd, female, and a horse that had been boarded out. Got a paddock cleared in the back yard, but not fenced, so started with just a strand of hot wire that I attached to the back porch at one point in its circuit. Installed horse, she knew what hotwire was, and settled right in.

Next morning, the dog had apparently forgotten that we had a horse in the backyard. She got up, went out on the deck, yawned and stretched, and happily surveyed her kingdom--and then saw the horse. She started barking, horse looked up with a bored `is-there-a-problem?' expression, and dog barked louder and more confidently and got no response. Dog walked to the end of the porch, opened her mouth to bark, and touched the hotwire with her nose. She bolted for the front door so quickly that she missed it on her first try and slammed into the wall beside it. Thus did I learn the meaning of the phrase `horselaugh'. Dog's manners improved immediately.

snowleopard said:
Stroll down memory lane: Had a young German shepherd, female, and a horse that had been boarded out. Got a paddock cleared in the back yard, but not fenced, so started with just a strand of hot wire that I attached to the back porch at one point in its circuit. Installed horse, she knew what hotwire was, and settled right in.

Next morning, the dog had apparently forgotten that we had a horse in the backyard. She got up, went out on the deck, yawned and stretched, and happily surveyed her kingdom--and then saw the horse. She started barking, horse looked up with a bored `is-there-a-problem?' expression, and dog barked louder and more confidently and got no response. Dog walked to the end of the porch, opened her mouth to bark, and touched the hotwire with her nose. She bolted for the front door so quickly that she missed it on her first try and slammed into the wall beside it. Thus did I learn the meaning of the phrase `horselaugh'. Dog's manners improved immediately.

Now that is funny!

Gary

Gary_602z said:
snowleopard said:

Now that is funny!

Gary

For sure.

Emma has the underground one and also the remote one jay and they work great! even with all her hair..we are out in the country but the road out front is a quarter mile stretch with a little hill and some of these idiots fly by doing Mach 1 :smirk:

Terry

loon said:
Emma has the underground one and also the remote one jay and they work great! even with all her hair..we are out in the country but the road out front is a quarter mile stretch with a little hill and some of these idiots fly by doing Mach 1 :smirk:

Terry

She had a record day yesterday 3 escapes....New one got here at about 11:00 so its almost time to try it out!

Jay a lot of it is in the training and not so much the equipment. Positive reinforcement and praise goes a long ways. She will have you trained in no time! :lol:

Gary

Gary_602z said:
Jay a lot of it is in the training and not so much the equipment. Positive reinforcement and praise goes a long ways. She will have you trained in no time! :lol:

Gary

You are right....lol But this collar works! She still ran off but this time she got zapped and not me...

Status
Not open for further replies.