Anyone using Dog shock collars?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what did she do after the correction?

SolarAndWood said:
So, what did she do after the correction?

Kept running came backin about 4 hours..

Then the collar didn't work ;-P More juice, continuous zap till she stops (not the politically correct way to train a dog but generally very effective). If that doesn't work, you either need a more powerful collar or need to do basic training with it until she knows what is up.

SolarAndWood said:
Then the collar didn't work ;-P More juice, continuous zap till she stops (not the politically correct way to train a dog but generally very effective). If that doesn't work, you either need a more powerful collar or need to do basic training with it until she knows what is up.

It was more than enough power(nailed her 3 times big Yelps)! Its basic training. Got flags up now and take it one day at a time. Back to the leash.

Instantaneous or continuous? I find instantaneous to be worthless for this type of distraction. Dog knows to just fight through it kind of like the dogs that run through the invisible fence. They need to know that what is causing the yelp is going to continue or even increase until they stop whatever they are doing. You are still going to have this problem after flag training unless you think you are going to reform your dog from doing what sounds like her reason to live. My 2 cents.

SolarAndWood said:
Instantaneous or continuous? I find instantaneous to be worthless for this type of distraction. Dog knows to just fight through it kind of like the dogs that run through the invisible fence. They need to know that what is causing the yelp is going to continue or even increase until they stop whatever they are doing. You are still going to have this problem after flag training unless you think you are going to reform your dog from doing what sounds like her reason to live. My 2 cents.

lol, It was nick shots. By the yelps was afraid to full blast her. I was on the 60 setting as well and it goes to 100.

Apply like you would if she was about to run into traffic and you are trying to save her life. After she knows what the deal is, you won't have to apply it like that any more.

SolarAndWood said:
Apply like you would if she was about to run into traffic and you are trying to save her life. After she knows what the deal is, you won't have to apply it like that any more.

Sounds about right to me....Thats what going to happen, not if its when. She getting very good at making her escapes.

Have you considered building a pond in the backyard?

snowleopard said:
Have you considered building a pond in the backyard?

Yes I have! Now that you metion it, it would be a 2fer...lol

SolarAndWood said:

Perfect advice. Do not be afraid to turn it on full if you need to. She will learn and you can turn it down.

your dog is not learning. take the time teach and do research on e collars. u are very likley to have a different dog soon.

E collars are great and i highly recommend them.

i hope it works out for u

Status
Not open for further replies.