Anyone using the new style combustor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmur

Nov 29, 2005
I just pulled off the cover off my 1 year old dutchwest to find a degraded combustor, Is anyone using the new style from
www.stovecombustors.com My brother has one and says it works good, Looking for more feedback.

I know mine is warranty-able, just always looking for something better.

Mine should arive any day in the mail.
I will followup post my oppinions
If mine were one year old I would be contacting the retailer and manufacture and get a replacement

We burned a stovecombustor.com cat for about a month and half in our Dutchwest this year before switching to coal. Worked flawlessly, lights off at a much lower temperature than the stock cat. Had no problem with creosote plugging up the cat like someone else had said. And even my father, who is a pretty novice woodburner had no problem getting the cat to stay lit.

I highly recommend them, you'll be glad you try one. Also, you'll notice very little air is required to keep the cat lit (since I know you have the cat combustor air control damper on your stove)

For the price, you really can't beat them.

Shoot, stovecombustors should be paying me

This is my second season with the stovecombustors cats. To be fair, the honeycomb style cats I used before came witht the stove wich was manufactured in 1989 I believe. Appalachian 32BWXL insert.I bought it 3 seasons back. I cleaned the cats halfway thru the season last year because they got plugged. I cleaned them just after the season started this year and since then, with the poroperly seasoned hardwood, I have had fantastic performance. I close the damper bypass at 350-400 and get cat fire-off. let the stove burn out and pull the damper out, the rod is clean and has a whitish residue (it tends to be sootyblack if I havn't gotten the stove high enough...which was common last season. ) I am very pleased with them. After 2 cleanings using the whiteviniger method I have seen no substrate degredation. the price is definately right and I am getting tremendous burns from my stove. Once I add a full liner I expect that it will be even better. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I also forgot to mention the exhaust from the top of my chimney. Nice clear waves of heat coming out. I have smoke when reloading or starting from a cold stove, but once I engage that cat it's amazingly clear.
Elk I'm waiting for your apprasal of these cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.