Anyone using thermo-electric generators?

Dune Posted By Dune, Jul 5, 2008 at 6:06 PM

1. Dune

Dune
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2008
    Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Hello all, Is anyone using a TEG (not including a fan)? I was told that there is a system in existance specificaly for woodstoves, but no amount of web surfing has found it. Any info helpful. Thankyou.

2. crazy_dan

crazy_dan
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 26, 2007
    Loc:
    Missouri
  3. Dune

Dune
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2008
    Loc:
    Yes, that is the type of thing I am asking about, but I have heard that there is a ready to usr unit for wood stove, but can't find it. thank you for the link.

4. mtarbert

mtarbert
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 23, 2006
    Loc:
    Maryland
  5. Dune

Dune
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2008
    Loc:
    Did you even look at the link provided by crazy-dan? I am here to learn and in turn to pass on what I discover which may be helpful to others.

6. Lowellmotel

Lowellmotel
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2012
    Loc:
    SE Ohio
    Several years later... Yes, I know some folks working with this technology. I know a few people who have worked on Stirling stuff at Sunpower here in Athens, OH.

My humble opinion is that TEG's heated via wood/coal stove can currently add to charging battery banks. I don't feel that it is a a standalone power-source, especially due to uh, summer. But thinking about the ability to illuminate low voltage lighting and charge cell phones from these devices is absolutely cool. If one is establishing a low voltage system and trying to prepare for power outages, this should be considered as an explorable technology.

I have been experimenting with Solar for about a decade (mostly while living in Phoenix, AZ). It takes a lifestyle change to live a low voltage DC reality, but i think that the "Burner" culture is already doing a similar thing.

Will be glad to talk about such things, share research.

7. Dune

Dune
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2008
    Loc:
    Good job digging up this oldie.
    There have been more recent threads.

8. benjamin

benjamin
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 7, 2009
    Loc:
    SW WI
    I couldn't find the old threads on this forum, or the article I remember, but there was an article (probably in Home Power) describing such a system in use in Iceland for small circulating pumps in isolated cabins using true geothermal heat (hot springs).

9. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I ran a thread on TEG power off a woodstove a while back and would be interested in what your research has shown up. We get several outages here. Actually, with a black absorption plate, why wouldn't this work in summer too?