Anyone with a finger on the pulse of the pricing of pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure can, got central oil heat and still prefer the warmth from the Pellet stove,totally different heat.

I thought heat was heat, explain. You must mean a lot of heat in a small area. I can put a lot of heat with oil in every room, or less rooms.

74 deg. With Pellet heat feels warmer then 74 deg from forced air heat again if you don't feel that difference great for you we do and choose to heat with pellets you continue to heat with oil.

Reactions: bogieb
74 deg. With Pellet heat feels warmer then 74 deg from forced air heat again if you don't feel that difference great for you we do and choose to heat with pellets you continue to heat with oil.
forced air and baseboard are the same to me as I have had both..
had forced air in a mobile home and it was quick heat then quick cool down.
same with water baseboards...rinse/lather/repeat....[ my house is not well insulated so that prob contributes to it] but,
either way, we prefer the Constant heat from the pellet stove... many days it's 24/7 depending on the outside temps. No cool downs..
I do remember with forced air we always felt dried out from the heat..
sinus's always bothered us...
have no Idea why pellet heat doesn't do the same but it IS different..:rolleyes:

I thought heat was heat, explain. You must mean a lot of heat in a small area. I can put a lot of heat with oil in every room, or less rooms.

BTUs are BTUs. I think when they prefer "pellet stove" heat it is as you say, confined to space heater style heat (which is what it is). Radiant and warmer in the room their in, but walk away from it and the degrees nosedive. I will turn the stove on to fortify the main living area, but while oil is cheap, that's how I roll.

Reactions: pete7713
home depot by me finally came down to 199.00. i picked up a bag of nations choice tonight. cleaned my stove and testing them tonight before i commit to 12 tons

To commit to 12 tons, I would run a larger sampling than that to get a true feel for the pellets. Maybe a run of ten bags.

forced air and baseboard are the same to me as I have had both..
had forced air in a mobile home and it was quick heat then quick cool down.
same with water baseboards...rinse/lather/repeat....[ my house is not well insulated so that prob contributes to it] but,
either way, we prefer the Constant heat from the pellet stove... many days it's 24/7 depending on the outside temps. No cool downs..
I do remember with forced air we always felt dried out from the heat..
sinus's always bothered us...
have no Idea why pellet heat doesn't do the same but it IS different..:rolleyes:

All about mass loading. Denser the mass, the longer to heat up but longer to cool off as well. Furnace still produces same BTUs either way, just question of efficiency.

To commit to 12 tons, I would run a larger sampling than that to get a true feel for the pellets. Maybe a run of ten bags.

I did wind up buying a few more bags to try. total of 6 bags. No different than the chows in my stove. I remeasured my garage too and scaled back my order to 10 tons. That will still get me by heatwise for at least the next 2 years after this one. i'll have 15 tons on hand after tomorrow. :-D

If i had no pellets right now, and i reworked a few things in the garage, i bet i could take a whole tractor trailer load in there

Unless it's a spare garage or you don't drive a fairly new car I get a kick out of the thought that the longer term investment of a possibly nice and dependable 20-30+K car will sit outdoors in the weather while the shorter term life expectancy pellets will be protected in a $40K+ dwelling place. Just sayin. It was a passing thought that you will occupy that entire space with pellets that could sit in a canvas hut just as well.. Course I keep my cars for 10 years too, a lot of people don't do that.. Nothing preserves a car more than a temperate dry garage where the car isn't out in the weather 24/7.

Last edited:
Just posted up in the Pellet Pricing area...

Going through Craigslist as I do occasionally, I run across this at 11:10AM:

Wood Pellets $3.99 per 40# bag.
Orford Softwood Pellets. With the Cold Weather Here it's Time to Feel The Heat!!!
This is a 1 day only Cash & Carry @ $3.99 per bag.
Minimum of 10 bags but no maximum but Limited to product in stock

Saturday February 13th 8-12 noon

Bring Cash and Save on as much product as you need
This Savings is not mentioned on our web site
Mention this posting to get this Steal of a Deal

www.pelletsdirect.com
73 Ironstone Rd
Uxbridge, MA 01569

And yeah, I'm 30 minutes away, and the "big" car is not here...damn.

This is the same sale he had the day after Christmas, same pellets. I still have 15 or so bags in the basement, they burn quite well. I would have liked to add another 20 bags or so to the stack.

If you take a look at his website it seems as though all of the pricing is falling...and he has a good range of pellets to choose from.

I'll need to keep a better eye on this from now on, I'd like to stock up fully in the spring for next year.

Unless it's a spare garage or you don't drive a fairly new car I get a kick out of the thought that the longer term investment of a possibly nice and dependable 20-30+K car will sit outdoors in the weather while the shorter term life expectancy pellets will be protected in a $40K+ dwelling place. Just sayin. It was a passing thought that you will occupy that entire space with pellets that could sit in a canvas hut just as well.. Course I keep my cars for 10 years too, a lot of people don't do that.. Nothing preserves a car more than a temperate dry garage where the car isn't out in the weather 24/7.

Well, my 2004 Explorer doesn't fit in the garage (too tall), so doesn't matter one way or the other there. I do keep my 2007 car in the garage, and paid less than 5 tons of pellets for it, so if I ran across a killer deal for a big batch of pellets - the car would be out in the weather too. Well, maybe not since I enjoy the heck out of not scraping frost off the windows, but I would have to think long and hard on it ;).

Reactions: alternativeheat
Just picked up a pallet (60 bags) LaCrete pellets at my local Home Depot @ $3.99 bag. Sold in pallet lots only.
Wow!!! That's awesome pricing! Is that in CND as well?

On year 16 with the present one...

Dan
Had an old Chevy pickup I ran for 25 years. I repowered it mostly for towing a camper that we hauled to Maine. Plowed for the town with it, private driveways too, not to mention my own at the time ( pre snow blower ownership). I retired it for a year or so, then did a bunch of body work around the time of the repower. Finally after scabbing the frame a couple of times the cab caved in over the frame and I called it quits. Still ran great, 4wd worked great etc.

On year 16 with the present one...

Dan
Had an old Chevy pickup I ran for 25 years. I repowered it mostly for towing a camper that we hauled to Maine. Plowed for the town with it, private driveways too, not to mention my own at the time ( pre snow blower ownership). I retired it for a year or so, then did a bunch of body work around the time of the repower. Finally after scabbing the frame a couple of times the cab caved in over the frame and I called it quits. Still ran great, 4wd worked great etc.

I had a 4Runner for 13 years and 307k miles. It never saw a garage in its life. Spent all its life here in NH. Frame was still good. Bondo-ed the wheel wells and sold it for $1,500 in 2000. The ex had his 2000 Tacoma until January of 2015. It also had never seen a garage in its life.

I had a 4Runner for 13 years and 307k miles. It never saw a garage in its life. Spent all its life here in NH. Frame was still good. Bondo-ed the wheel wells and sold it for $1,500 in 2000. The ex had his 2000 Tacoma until January of 2015. It also had never seen a garage in its life.
Funny thing about the old chevy pu, it was old when I got it. Not having a ton a money and it needed a windshield, I went to the junkyard and bought one for I think $35. A rock hit the junk yard windshield and it put a little maybe 1/4" round star burst in it. I put a drop a super glue in it. The whole time I drove that truck it never got a new windshield, never cracked any more, that junk yard windshield was still in it when I got rid of the truck. My 2008 X-terra ( bought new in 08) has had three windshields including the original, you get a nick in these new pieces of glass and you can't get home fast enough for the super glue trick, it just goes zing on ya. But this thing tows the boat awesome, geared nice and it's only a 4.0 six cylinder. Not sure what this all has to do with pellet stoves so I'll end it here !

Just bought 3 tons of green supremes at Lowes for $199 a ton

Here in Central Maine (not too far from the big pellet mill) pellets started out the winter at around $260/ton and are now down to $200.

Well, one more day and January is in the books. I still have five bags left from my first ton of pellets, and that burning was strictly for extra comfort, as the price of oil is to tempting to pass on. I am certain many pellet dealers are sitting on a large stash of unsold, and manufacturers are likely not moving them either. Has anyone blinked with pricing yet and lowered their costs? With many people having had stocked up early, I am certain I am not the only one who will have surplus at the end of this season. While I certainly don't want this supply chain to hurt financially, I would like to see them act upon pricing as any other commodity and fluctuate their prices...not only to assume they can simply raise prices annually.
Just curious, as I won't be NEEDING pellets anytime soon.

Everyone can debate the oil versus pellets strictly on price however I think another issue is how are we going to stuff dinosaurs back in the ground to replenish the crude oil supply. I doubt that we will run out of crude in my lifetime however I have a couple of grand kids to think about and their future on this planet. Hopefully they will adopt my thoughts about wastefulness and think about the future rather than the minute that we live in.

Pellets are one of the renewable resources that we have available at this time and while I'm not a tree huger I'd like to think about the future and leave this planet in as good of shape as I can. I realize that everyone thinks about these things differently however in my world I isn't all about me and my checkbook and leaving a bit for others is a plus in my world.

Home Depot hasn't budged on their pricing $259/ton in the store today

Status
Not open for further replies.