Anyone with an Attack DP Profi?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, yes I did see that in a search. I am hoping to hear more from people who have the attack. I did talk to one person who works for COZY and has the attack dp 35 but I figure the more input I can get the better idea I will have of that boiler. Rob :coolsmile:

Hey Rob,
I'm actually planning to make the 3.5 hour drive to WV to meet Zenon at New Horizon and check out the Biomass, Attack and EKO. Hopefully within a couple of weeks. I'll let you know of any info he can give as the importer.
I am leaning towards an induced draft and the Attack seems to be the most cost effective unit available.
Its kind of hard to get an idea of the heat exchanger on the Attack. It doesn't seem to have vertical tubes or turbulators and no lever for cleaning. All things I hope to find out soon.

Have you ordered your boiler yet?

Noah

Hey, Noah!

Any impressions and info you have would be gratefully received. I can't justify that trip and there isn't much going on out here in the west as far as gasifiers go. I am sending in my money as we speak. Zenon has been real helpful and his prices are the best around. I am wrestling with whether to put the boiler inside or build a shed. I have good pros and cons for both but saving money and putting the boiler inside will probably carry the day.

Look forward to hearing your impressions. Rob

Man, I can't wait to get a gasser. Do you have an ETA? It looks like your going to become the first Boiler Room expert on the Attack!
My boiler+storage will end up in my basement for several reasons. Cost of a building and keeping the heat loss in my shop space being the main ones. Having the boiler in the basement is why I'm leaning towards an induced draft. Hopefully less chance of smoke and or creosote smell vs forced draft.

I was originally planning the trip to WV for today but my family being sick has put a hold on that.

Well,time for some homemade chicken soup.
Noah

Floydian said:
Hey Rob,
I'm actually planning to make the 3.5 hour drive to WV to meet Zenon at New Horizon and check out the Biomass, Attack and EKO. Hopefully within a couple of weeks. I'll let you know of any info he can give as the importer.
I am leaning towards an induced draft and the Attack seems to be the most cost effective unit available.
Its kind of hard to get an idea of the heat exchanger on the Attack. It doesn't seem to have vertical tubes or turbulators and no lever for cleaning. All things I hope to find out soon.

Have you ordered your boiler yet?

Noah
I purchased my Dakon boiler from Zenon 4 years ago, and I drove about 4 hours to see it in action. I suspect that the Attack boiler is similar to mine in that the rear of the boiler has a combustion gas collector which sucks hot exhaust gases over rectangular fins that are welded to the back of the boiler body. There are probably access panels on the top, back and bottom sides of this combustion collector that you have to remove in order to manually clean. I clean mine with a boiler brush about every month and vacuum out the ash. I've hope these enclosed pictures help..

Bob

Attachments

• DSCF0097.JPG
    DSCF0097.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 459
  • DSCF0098.JPG
    DSCF0098.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 454
  • DSCF0099.JPG
    DSCF0099.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 484
  • DSCF0100.JPG
    DSCF0100.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 479
Hi, Bob;

Well, I have looked at a lot of literature and talked to one person with the attack and have finally decided on the attack. I am still vacillating a little on inside vs outside (in a shed ) for the bioler. Can't wait until I get it all done and start enjoying some radiant heat!

Rob

Thanks for the photos Bob. That does shed some light on things for me.
What kind of flue temperatures do you see with the Dakon?
I searched Dakon KP Pyro 38. 1st hit was an old New Horizon page. When did Zenon stop selling them?

Noah

Noah:
Sorry so late getting back to you... My flue temperatures average 300-350 degrees F. Zenon stopped carrying Dakon about 2 1/2
years ago. It's a induced draft unit with adjustable primary air shutters located on the sides of the boiler. Secondary air flow is not adjustable, I think it is proportional to the primary air adjustment. I have it in my basement (see my other threads) and it generally doesn't smoke when refueling unless I'm burning a pitchy piece of pine. Zenon was very helpful and seems to be a straight up kind of guy.
Bob

Thanks, Hansson and Noah;

I appreciate all the info you have shared. Will have lots more ? ina couple of months when I start to install. Rob
tr

radarblip said:
Noah:
Zenon stopped carrying Dakon about 2 1/2 years ago. Bob

I haven't seen this boiler yet - any ideas why its not being carried now? I love the idea of the inline draft inducer and would like to figure out how to change over to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.