Anything bad about Breckwells???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlenkows

Jul 1, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Before I drop a bunch of money on it, can anyone shed some light on any service issues for Breckwell stoves?? I am looking at a P23I....

I have heard good and bad things about them because of the 1 year warranty.....

I think most have one-year warranties on the parts (motor, control, auger, etc.) but 5 years or more one the iron body, weld seams, hopper, etc. Englander is similar. :)

I looked at a Big E before I bought my Harman. My dealer had it for within $25 his price for a P38. One thing he mentioned to me was he had sold one and was called back by the owner because the door didn't fit right (you could see a gap between the door and the stove.) He went and looked at it and figured either the door or the steel on the stove was warped. I also looked at another model he had, and to me it just looked a lot flimsier made than the St. Croix's and Harmans.

jlenkows said:
Before I drop a bunch of money on it, can anyone shed some light on any service issues for Breckwell stoves?? I am looking at a P23I....

I have one season so far on my P2700. Burned like a champ. Can't speak to anything longevity-wise yet, though.

jlenkows said:

I love my big E. Do a search on Harman and the Big E.

jlenkows said:

I bought a Breckwell P23 last Jan. Burned it the rest of the winter without any proplems. Very impressed with the heat output. I burn Country Boy White Lightening pellets. Home is 1,456 sq. ft. The only thing I read and heard about was the blower motor going bad. But Breckwell came out with a new motor that was suppose to correct this problem. Havent heard any bad things about the replacement blower...........I give it a thumbs up!!! Great little stove!

Very good stoves. I have only sold one that needed to be returned to the factory.
Eric

I think if you spend some time around this forum you will find some issues with all manufacturers. I personnaly have a Breckwell P2000 in my home and a Breckwell Big-E in my shop. Both stoves where built within a month of each other and both had control board problems which caused bearing issues on the convection blowers. After working with Breckwell they replaced both in each of the stoves. IMO unless you are able to work on your stove yourself, it matters much less which brand you buy versus who you buy it from and are they able to provide QUALITY service. I will say my P2000 runs much more quietly compared to the Big-E. Both have similar heat output. After my initial learning curve I will not go back to heating with oil or gas. Good Luck. I should add that the control boards and blowers are not manufactured by Breckwell, and Breckwell did acknowledged that they received a batch of bad control boards that led to blower failures due to poor voltage regulation.

Ron in Northwest Wisconsin

I currently sell and burn breckwell stoves and think they are great (and not just cause i sell them) I have burnt them off and on for the past few months and see a lot oif great features. GO FOR IT

breckwell makes a fine product line , they compete in our market but i still have to tip my hat to them as a company and a product line. i am not familiar with the model you refer to as i havent seen that one , but the ones ive looked at seem to be well built units for the price range they fall in. eric at kinsman could probably give you better info on the line than i but i cant say anything bad about them , (especially in an election year (lol))

Status
Not open for further replies.