Anything inherently wrong with duraplus ht chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
Finally got around to looking at the chimney, pipe and adapters that came with my stove. The chimney is duraplus ht triple wall that apparently has a 1/2 " insulation. It is also galvalume with SS interior. Doesn't seem to be commonly used so I wanted to make sure that there is nothing inherently wrong with it since I have everything to make it work. l

Hi there, I do not have extensive experience with Duraplus. I just installed a Duraplus chimney this fall. It is definitely a budget friendly chimney. So far I am happy with it. Having only 1/2 inch of insulation may be a problem if you live in a very cold area, and have a long run of exposed chimney. I am happy with the draft I maintain and I have about 7 feet exposed. As far as safety is concerned, I believe it is just as safe as any other chimney out there. It is tested to the same spec. One drawback about triple wall it that it takes up more space for the clearance to combustibles. It is also not recommended to use the galvanized pipe for exterior. It can be used in attics and enclosed chases. Best to use the stainless version outside. If you are not as concerned with longevity it could be used on the exterior, but may begin to corrode. Hope this helps.

Yes, DuraPlus is a bargain pipe, but it is tested class A HT and is not a safety compromise. Because of the extra air layer it's diameter is larger making it more bulky to work with and needing a bigger hole cut through the wall or roof. In dry Idaho their galvalume pipe may last quite awhile, so if you've got it, go ahead and use it. When it starts showing signs of rusting I'd replace it with stainless.

Yes, DuraPlus is a bargain pipe, but it is tested class A HT and is not a safety compromise. Because of the extra air layer it's diameter is larger making it more bulky to work with and needing a bigger hole cut through the wall or roof. In dry Idaho their galvalume pipe may last quite awhile, so if you've got it, go ahead and use it. When it starts showing signs of rusting I'd replace it with stainless.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.