Q&A Apartment Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

After perusing your site (a valuable resource indeed!) I was unable to find an answer to the question that has been bothering me for quite awhile now... Here goes:

We live in an apartment in Virginia which does indeed have a fireplace. The problem is, I cant get 'real' wood to burn in it! I can put all sorts of kindling under the logs, etc., but they just sit there and smolder. However, the 'fake' logs, DuraFlame et al, work fine. After having spent last winter using DuraFlame logs, we decided to make the landlords sweep the chimney, thinking that it wasn't providing enough air flow to keep the O2 around the log. That didn't help.

Do you have any ideas as to why/what I can do to get a REAL crackling, hot fire? I'd appreciate it!

Answer:

#1 Warm the chimney - use a piece of newspaper up the flue.
#2 Make sure the wood is dry
#3 Crisscross the Kindling so there is lots of air between it
#4 Set the whole fire before you light it
#5 Read starting and tending a fire at https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.html

Status
Not open for further replies.