Appalachian 52 Bay insert sure is getting too hot or is it ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coltfever

Burning Hunk
Jan 4, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Is the catalytic combusters getting too hot or is this normal and should I just let the stove do its thing ? I have a Appalachian 52 Bay insert connected to 23 foot Flex-Pro 8" liner. Example adding about 6 splits of cherry on coal bed with catalytic damper open and waiting for the Condar temp to reach about 600 then close the damper into combuster mode and closing the primary air down in stages and stop at about 10% open. All is fine with temp as it rises to about 1300 after a couple hours into burn then starts creeping up to 1500 , 1700 and then 1800 which reads too hot on my catalytic thermometer. At that time my Rutland burn indicator on the font just above the door is reading 750 degs. I bet if I didn't do anything the catalytic would climb to 2000. Anyway to start cooling down I open the bypass damper about half way and after a few mins it starts to slowly cool down. After about an hour I go back into catalytic with temp of 1300 and stove temp of 350 and it will stay that for a few hours. Now here is the strange thing of it all. If I put about 3 splits in the stove all works as it should. This happens only when loading the stove full. Now this is with 12% m cherry wood. I hate to think what my 14% hickory would do. As far as I know my door gasket is good. ( dollar bill check good) and I replaced bay window gaskets. I don't use my ash pan drop. In fact I sealed around that with furnace cement. I have held off from posting and tried burning a few times with full stove but get same overheating results. I can see the overheating action with alot of primary air but I am only using about 10% air. If I close all the way the stove will starve for air and it will backpuff into the house. Sorry for the long post but hope someone can help before cold weather get here. This is my first year with this stove. Last year I was burning a Buck 26000.

Status
Not open for further replies.