1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Apple It better burn hot

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by d.braun28@yahoo.com, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.braun28@yahoo.com

d.braun28@yahoo.com New Member

Loc:
    Northern ,IL
    I spent 8 hours this weekend taking down 5 apple tree's 10-16in Dia. They previous owner planted them in the septic field. I would normally pass on this as its of work for very little wood but they are retired and friends of friends. My arms are tired using a 361 with a 20 bar is a good work out for cutting all the branches. I kept everything over 1 in Dia and I think I only got 2.5 face cords. So will it be worth it next year when I am burning this apple?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    Don't know if it will be worth it, but apple burns hot and long... Smells good too, great for smoking. ;)
  3. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Apple burns great and fantastic for smokin!
  4. Risser09

Risser09 New Member

Loc:
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    You could probably sell it for a decent price. People love it for smoking.
  5. d.braun28@yahoo.com

Loc:
    Northern ,IL
    With how my arms feel right now my asking price would be very high. I thought the 361 would be the perfect one saw but I am now thinking I need a baby saw.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Apple is one of the best woods for heat.

I hope this makes the arms feel better. lol
  7. d.braun28@yahoo.com

Loc:
    Northern ,IL
    I Checked it out on the btu chart before I agreed to cut the baby tree's and haul all the brush to his burn pile.
    Starting to feel better thanks
  8. Bubbavh

Bubbavh Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NJ Piney
    I just picked up an arborist saw on ebay for $70 with a brand new bar and chain for the same reason. It has good compression and starts on 1st or 2nd pull. It's an Echo CS330T nice little saw for the $$ and you can use it all day long. I knocked down the depth gauges on the safety chain with a file and it cuts pretty darn good for a little saw!
  9. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    I hear ya 44 elite...apple is a big pita to cut but it is one of the longest burning woods we have around here.
  10. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    LOL, I bought an 036 (same basic saw) a long time ago and quickly realized it wasn't all that 'great' at much of anything. The 361 is a nice saw if you're only going to own one saw, but I found having a larger saw and smaller saw was much more functional if you do a lot of cutting. I know some people don't like or agree with using a top handle saw for limbing, but I love them. I have a super light 192T (as well as a 200T, but that's a lot more $) that works GREAT for limbing the little stuff. IMO, buy a 192T, dump the 361, and pick up a 7900 for about the same money (a lot more power and only a little heavier), and you'll have one hell of a two saw plan. ;)
  11. d.braun28@yahoo.com

Loc:
    Northern ,IL
    I love the 361 for most of my cutting it's a little much for limbing but my arms need the work. So it works decent as a one saw plan for me but it goes against my beliefs but a smaller saw could have a home with me in the future.
    I have only been doing this a few years. All in good time
  12. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania

Absolutely yes! And when you are burning it make sure that you get a good "snootful" of its perfume-like aroma. Apple rocks!
  13. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    I know an apple farmer(he's probably not biased, right? :roll:) who burns nothing but apple and swears that it burns hotter and just as long as oak, smells better, and doesn't take as long to season. Seems to me it's a lot more work though, since apple trees are quite small compared to oak when they finish their fruiting.
  14. d.braun28@yahoo.com

Loc:
    Northern ,IL
    I can attest to the hard work
    8 hours for less than a full cord my grampa could produce more than that in a day.
  15. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to help out friends and the elderly. At least you have something to show for it... I know I typically go home with nothing after doing charity work. ;)
  16. jpl1nh

jpl1nh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Newfields NH
    My kids been tellin me bout some stuff for smokin that was fetchin a pretty decent price. :eek:hh:
  17. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    I keep borrowing my dad's Craftsman 14" electric. He's getting a little tired of it, but at least I sharpen the chain for him. :cheese:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.