Apple It better burn hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Feb 4, 2009
Northern ,IL
I spent 8 hours this weekend taking down 5 apple tree's 10-16in Dia. They previous owner planted them in the septic field. I would normally pass on this as its of work for very little wood but they are retired and friends of friends. My arms are tired using a 361 with a 20 bar is a good work out for cutting all the branches. I kept everything over 1 in Dia and I think I only got 2.5 face cords. So will it be worth it next year when I am burning this apple?

Don't know if it will be worth it, but apple burns hot and long... Smells good too, great for smoking. ;)

Apple burns great and fantastic for smokin!

You could probably sell it for a decent price. People love it for smoking.

With how my arms feel right now my asking price would be very high. I thought the 361 would be the perfect one saw but I am now thinking I need a baby saw.

Apple is one of the best woods for heat.

I hope this makes the arms feel better. lol

I Checked it out on the btu chart before I agreed to cut the baby tree's and haul all the brush to his burn pile.
Starting to feel better thanks

44 elite said:
With how my arms feel right now my asking price would be very high. I thought the 361 would be the perfect one saw but I am now thinking I need a baby saw.

I just picked up an arborist saw on ebay for $70 with a brand new bar and chain for the same reason. It has good compression and starts on 1st or 2nd pull. It's an Echo CS330T nice little saw for the $$ and you can use it all day long. I knocked down the depth gauges on the safety chain with a file and it cuts pretty darn good for a little saw!

I hear ya 44 elite...apple is a big pita to cut but it is one of the longest burning woods we have around here.

44 elite said:
LOL, I bought an 036 (same basic saw) a long time ago and quickly realized it wasn't all that 'great' at much of anything. The 361 is a nice saw if you're only going to own one saw, but I found having a larger saw and smaller saw was much more functional if you do a lot of cutting. I know some people don't like or agree with using a top handle saw for limbing, but I love them. I have a super light 192T (as well as a 200T, but that's a lot more $) that works GREAT for limbing the little stuff. IMO, buy a 192T, dump the 361, and pick up a 7900 for about the same money (a lot more power and only a little heavier), and you'll have one hell of a two saw plan. ;)

I love the 361 for most of my cutting it's a little much for limbing but my arms need the work. So it works decent as a one saw plan for me but it goes against my beliefs but a smaller saw could have a home with me in the future.
I have only been doing this a few years. All in good time

44 elite said:
So will it be worth it next year when I am burning this apple?

Absolutely yes! And when you are burning it make sure that you get a good "snootful" of its perfume-like aroma. Apple rocks!

I know an apple farmer(he's probably not biased, right? :roll:) who burns nothing but apple and swears that it burns hotter and just as long as oak, smells better, and doesn't take as long to season. Seems to me it's a lot more work though, since apple trees are quite small compared to oak when they finish their fruiting.

I can attest to the hard work
8 hours for less than a full cord my grampa could produce more than that in a day.

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to help out friends and the elderly. At least you have something to show for it... I know I typically go home with nothing after doing charity work. ;)

Risser09 said:
You could probably sell it for a decent price. People love it for smoking.
My kids been tellin me bout some stuff for smokin that was fetchin a pretty decent price. :eek:hh:

44 elite said:

I keep borrowing my dad's Craftsman 14" electric. He's getting a little tired of it, but at least I sharpen the chain for him. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.