apple storage dilema

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geoxman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2010
STL City
I was given 15 fifty five gallon barrels full of cut up apple wood branches. They are already cut into 6 inch long pieces, they are all almost the size of a Lincoln log or redbull can.
This of course is for only smoking and should last me a few years. How would you go about drying and storing the wood? I am in an urban area and I just can't dump them in a pile, plus I have to return the barrels. Any ideas are appreciated

Whenever I get the chance to prune or harvest local Apple or Pear trees I save everything over 1" diameter.Up to 2- 2 1/2" they get cut in 3-4 inch pieces on bandsaw,stored in a couple big sturdy cardboard boxes along 1 side of garage wall out of the way.If you need some,your local grocery store is a good place to look,they give them away all the time for people who are moving or just need a couple to store stuff.Any pieces over 2 1/2" diameter is cut a foot or so long,stacked outside on a narrow skid or cut down pallet,mixed with whatever other wood for the smoker I accumulate.

You'll be amazed how quickly they dry inside a building,whether heated or not.Open cardboard box helps with airflow somewhat.But to speed things up any really green pieces will get tossed onto a piece of plywood out back for a couple months if needed.

I would think you would want to keep them in a dry location and in a container that "breathes." Maybe you can get your hands on some large burlap sacks somewhere for cheap?

However you go, that is a great find.

Where do you WANT to store them?

I'm picturing a miniature wire corn crib, 4"x2"x5' welded wire in a 4' diameter cylinder? Maybe the bannana boxes stashed up in the trussed of the garage makes more sense though.

benjamin said:
Where do you WANT to store them?

I'm picturing a miniature wire corn crib, 4"x2"x5' welded wire in a 4' diameter cylinder? Maybe the bannana boxes stashed up in the trussed of the garage makes more sense though.

This could work. Maybe something like the heavy duty cardboard boxes and/or light wood boxes that fruits are often delivered in to grocery stores. The ones I've seen look stackable and would have enough air space to allow drying.

geoxman said:
I was given 15 fifty five gallon barrels full of cut up apple wood branches. They are already cut into 6 inch long pieces, they are all almost the size of a Lincoln log or redbull can.
This of course is for only smoking and should last me a few years. How would you go about drying and storing the wood? I am in an urban area and I just can't dump them in a pile, plus I have to return the barrels. Any ideas are appreciated

Years, really? That would last me a lifetime. You must smoke a lot of excellent BBQ. If you need help eating it I would be happy to assist.

You can pick up those cheap "milk" crates. They are stackable and you'd have plenty of circulation. It would take a lot but they'd be durable and reuseable for the next time you get hooked up with smoking fuel.

If that's cost prohibitive, potatoe sacks (burlap) would work OK if storing under roof. If they can hold 50 pounds of taters they can hold the same in wood.

lukem said:
geoxman said:

Years, really? That would last me a lifetime. You must smoke a lot of excellent BBQ. If you need help eating it I would be happy to assist.

You can pick up those cheap "milk" crates. They are stackable and you'd have plenty of circulation. It would take a lot but they'd be durable and reuseable for the next time you get hooked up with smoking fuel.

+1

burlap sacks are sold at Tractor Supply for $.99 if your looking that route

Put them in a new, clean covered trash barrel. The lids are not airtight. If they are in the sun, the moisture should go out without a problem. I soak my smoking wood before setting it on the charcoal, so I'm not too concerned with moisture. I usually cut branches down to size and stack under my porch.

Thanks for the ideas! I am headed to Rural King to get some burlap bags and I will just pile them in the garage. My smoker is rather large and I only cook with wood, no charcoal. I usually go through about 2-3 ranks per season. I usually use oak, mulberry and maple and I am really looking forward to some ribs and butts with this apple. I have never had this quantity and I am thinking a a mix of my larger maple splits with the apple will be dynamite! Thanks again for the ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.