Apple Tree has Winged Ants: Should I take it???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Posting on CL today for some apple wood. Got there with my chainsaw and started in on it. The tree is about half dead. One of the limbs I cut into had a large pocket of Winged Ants swarm out of it. Took the wood on the ground after carefully looking at it and left. Should I return for the rest? Nice amount left but I concerned about the infestation. Thoughts please....

Bugs leave once you disturb them. Usually.

Go back & check it out. If they are gone, I'd snatch it up.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Flying ants are not like termites. Cut and split it, they'll be gone.;)

Reactions: ScotO
At least I thought they were winged ants??!...Some of the dead limbs had pin size holes in them. Could those have been termites???

Nope, unless it was laying on the ground for a while. Other than that split and stack. And then let it dry for 3 years and burn it.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
At least I thought they were winged ants??!...Some of the dead limbs had pin size holes in them. Could those have been termites???
Termites are light brown blind and pretty slow. Once settled in, the few that have wings lose them. Don't worry.

Probably carpenter ants. They'll be gone.

If they stick around be careful, they can bite like Dracula on a bad day !!!

No problem. Probably gone in a few days.
Winged ones
are the reproductive ones, will be leaving the nest soon anyway.
th.jpeg

The hollow tree I cut up on Sunday was loaded with carpenter ants. I'll be splitting it on the worksite some evening this week and letting it sit till the weekend. They'll be gone by then.

NO WAY would I pass up any applewood. Great stuff for cooking on the firepit! Not to mention one of the better hardwoods for the stove.

Reactions: fishingpol
No problem. Probably gone in a few days.
Winged ones
are the reproductive ones, will be leaving the nest soon anyway.
View attachment 101335

I've watched them swarm out of the ground from where dead pine tree roots would be from a pine that was cut down. Birds could not keep up eating them as they swarmed out one right after the other.
If you have termites in your house you might find a mass of the winged termites at a window.

I'd take the wood. Those ants will be gone before you get it in the stacks.

If it was flying monkeys coming out of the apple tree I might have some reservations . . . flying ants . . .no issues.

Reactions: fishingpol and Dix
Status
Not open for further replies.