Apple wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
Ever try it? I got some last spring from my brother who cut down a couple trees. I've been having good luck with it. It seems to burn pretty clean, long and fairly hot. Just wondered others experiences with it...

I smoke chickens with apple wood. It is a crowd favorite, more so than hickory. Never burned the stuff in my stove but have heard good things about it.

Most fruit woods are good to burn. Not at the top of the burn list, but far from the bottom. Orchard wood sometimes comes available here, and I try and get all larger than 4" pieces. Burns well, but will burn hot in my experience.

Burns great and save some for the barbecue :)
md

Apple is highly sought after for smoking ribs, chicken, loins....
Get a smoker and save it for that. My next door neighbor gave me his apple tree after I gave him a rack of ribs last summer that were slow smoked with apple for 6 hours, and then 30 second grilled with a sweet/tangy sauce.

I love to smoke on sunday's before the steelers game.

one of the best smelling woods there is... wish i had some can be hard to get.

We still have some older properties with small orchards on them and I love when the customer wants to remove the orchard and replant with new trees. Apple is a great wood, as others have said, barbeque or wood stove.

DonNC said:
Get a smoker and save it for that. My next door neighbor gave me his apple tree after I gave him a rack of ribs last summer that were slow smoked with apple for 6 hours, and then 30 second grilled with a sweet/tangy sauce.

Do you smoke with the apple wood inself ot on charcoal with apple wood chips added for the smoke?

Love apple wood . . . great for burning as it is a rather high BTU wood . . . plus it smells really nice while splitting it up . . . in fact it's not uncommon for me to keep stopping while splitting up cherry and apple and giving them a good sniff since they smell so good.

However, as much as I love apple wood for burning I try to keep some aside for my buddy who has a smoker since I would much rather have my buddy smoke up some ribs than to "waste" this wood in a fire . . . even if it does have a good BTU return.

We have an old apple tree that will be coming down soon...will be saving some of the wood for firewood as I also have been told it's good for that but a smoker has been on my "I wanna get" list for some time and looks like I'll have a fair amount of apple wood to use for it....so, if the OP doesn't mind a slight hijack of this thread....without spending a bundle of $$ what brand smoker is suggested?

Apple is a great firewood! However, if anyone is offered a thorn apple, I suggest you pass unless your smeller is a bit off. Nasty stuff it is.

Neil said:
DonNC said:

Do you smoke with the apple wood inself ot on charcoal with apple wood chips added for the smoke?

I use charcoal and add apple wood for taste. I dont have enough apple or hickory atm to use just wood. My bro is the one who taught me and he built his own smoker / trailer and has gone commercial with it (15-20k per summer). He uses oak wood to get embers going good and then adds apple and hickory for taste.

Great stuff,its one of the best.I've smoked & grilled with it for over 20 yrs.Whenever I get the chance to harvest any apple trees or do pruning for someone,I cut the pieces into 3"-4" chunks & fill a few big cardboard boxes to have a stockpile in the future.Since Cherry is much more plentiful for me,sometimes I mix it 50/50 or so with Apple,to help extend my supply,that combo really works well with pork or poultry I discovered.Even with so many people having apple trees in your area or small commercial orchards,it still sells for around $1/pound or more in bags in stores or online I've noticed.Demand is high,people are willing to pay it obviously.Havent burned much of it in fireplace or stove,its too valuable to me for that.

My neighbor gave me some limbs early fall and when I was bucking the log and put the saw down to adjust the limb the saw would be covered with flies every time.
Gonna smoke a brisket with some soon and tomorrow night some apple raisin stuffed pork chops.

Status
Not open for further replies.