Appling County Pellet Feed Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletmaster

Jan 5, 2009
Southern PA
Hello all.
I have 2 stoves, a harman XXV and Englander 25PDVC. I burned Lignetics for quite a while last season, with no problems, but this season I got 4 tons of Appling County and while they do have quite a pleasant scent, the bigger issue is with the stoves being able to move them from hopper to auger. Constantly, the pellets get stuck on the sides of the hopper and wont fall, which of course shuts em down.

How normal is this for ACP? The lignetics never did this.
Any way to resolve this? (I know... No more ACP, right?)

- Thanks
D

The ACP I burned didn't smell nice at all but were small, broken up and had lots of fines per bag. They burned fine however but a little dirty. Never had a feed problem.

Mark :)

My experience with them was similar to Marks. There must have been two completely different runs of these things because mine litterally stunk.

Update on the ACP:

It has only been 1.5 to 2.0 weeks since I last thoroughly cleaned the stove and emptied the ash pan. I cleaned it today as it shut off from the mild temps and the stove was filthy! The ash pan was 3/4 full which is something I haven't seen since I got the stove.

3/4 full of ash in maybe 2.0 weeks.

Based on this, I would burn ACP again only in a dire shortage.

The englander 25PDVC hopper is painted dull black, an also has plenty of excess caulk all over the sides and corners. so I sanded the crap out of it until the entire hopper is smooth bare metal, then did the waxpaper trick ( someone else mentioned in another post) all over it. That worked perfectly. Someone mentioned in anther post they were going to check out spraying the Dupont teflon wax spray, and I can tell you from experience, this does NOT work.
I probably didn't need the waxpaper rubbed on all over it, but i did that anyway. Problem solved.

due to the lack of pellet brands in my area, ACP is really the only affordable one I can find, and it does work well, but I agree, very dry and messy.

Hey thanks for the update and glad it is working for you know!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.