Appling County Pellets...... Good, bad, and or ugly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
I had a fella from Ga. call me today attempting to sell me truckloads of this brand. I have never heard of them and was not thrilled about the price he gave me. Has anyone burned these pellets and what kind of quality did you find? I did a search of the site and will leave it at that. I will not sell anything of poor quality.

Thanks
Eric

kinsman stoves said:
I had a fella from Ga. call me today attempting to sell me truckloads of this brand. I have never heard of them and was not thrilled about the price he gave me. Has anyone burned these pellets and what kind of quality did you find? I did a search of the site and will leave it at that. I will not sell anything of poor quality.

Thanks
Eric

If you did a search, you know how I feel. Although they produce pretty decent heat, they produce a ton of ash and smell like dog poop. Come to think of it, they are the same color! Maybe someone came up with a way to turn dog poop into pellets.

Doocrew said:
kinsman stoves said:

Thanks
Eric

If you did a search, you know how I feel. Although they produce pretty decent heat, they produce a ton of ash and smell like dog poop. Come to think of it, they are the same color! Maybe someone came up with a way to turn dog poop into pellets.
We carried them for as long as it took for us to sell 1 truckload.

NHenergy said:
Doocrew said:
kinsman stoves said:

Thanks
Eric

We carried them for as long as it took for us to sell 1 truckload.

I see you are from Central NH-where are you located? I just purchased a camp in central NH and I am going to be looking for a dealer in that area to suit my pellet addiction.

Eric: I also recently posted my review of these pellets. It sounds like "Doocrew" and I had the same results burning the Appling County Pellets (ACP). I have a Harman Advance and he has a Hudson River Saranac stove. The pellets offered good heat. The first thing I noticed was their smell. Strong oder when hauling home in truck. Then after placing in my basement, the whole basement stunk. The burned with the most ash I have seen from any of the brands I burned so. So much ash that I had to clean my stove just after several bags. I am not sure what the oder was but my sinuses did not seem to like these pellets either. Once I was done burning the few bags that I bought, my sinuses seemed to get better within 24 hours.

I would get some to try yourself before you invest in a truckload or more of these.

a friend of mine tried these and the stove was a mess. looked like the inside was full of sand. i tried 1 bag in my stove and what a mess.never again.

I would say Pennington are worse than these. They are not a terrible pellet, I would say they are on the bottom end of being a premium pellet. They burn fine with few klinkers, in a whtfield they do well because the ash is very light and blows out of the burn pot grate. The down side is ash, these produce more ash than any pellet I have ever used (by a large margin). One bag of pellets produces about 8 cups of ash, granted it is a light fluffy ash.

They are light on the clinger side though, and not alot of fines. They are also a larger pellet, so they tend to feed slower.

I think they are ok. For some one with a Harman advance they may be a bad choice because the rear heat exchange is a pain to clean and all the ash of the ACP will fill that area up much quicker than other pellets.

Eric:

Something tells me that there will not be a truck heading from Georgia to Ohio anytime soon.

codebum said:
Eric:

Something tells me that there will not be a truck heading from Georgia to Ohio anytime soon.

You are a wise man for a fella that wears red tights and posts an avatar of such.

Speaking of avatars lets take Smokey the Bear out and buy him beers and chicken wings. I wanna wear the hat.

Thanks all and you saved me a few bucks and headaches.

Eric

I just bought some to use in my Harman Accentra insert. I am having to empty the ash pan after two days. I haven't noticed a bad smell. they really seem to put out the heat, but this ash thing is ridiculous. I had previously burned 20 bags of Wood Pellet Co. premium and the ash pan wasn't even half way full. No wonder my supplier had so many of these things.

As you would guess here on Long Island there's a wood pellet reseller selling these pellets for $375.00 per ton. Available on Craigslist!

Status
Not open for further replies.