Appling county pellets how are they?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisf

Jun 25, 2009
upstate NY 12025
Well my dealer has these pellets coming in and he seems to bee happy with them. He says not alot of ash and seem to burn hot just alittle bigger than most pellets. I have read on here that they people say they are junk. so I dont know if I want to get them I would like to get a half dozen bags and try them. but now it is warming up and the stoves dont run much. so guys give me your opinions on the appling county pellets.

I tried some earlier in the season and they sucked.
Less heat than most all other brands I've burned,
and a huge amount of ash, plus the bonus: They
smelled nasty - I mean really nasty. I've burned
about a dozen different brands in the past 5 years
and those were hands down the worst.

Junk. Don't even bother buying 6 bags to test....It won't take more than 2 for you to see how bad they are.

And as for the dealer "he seems to be happy with them".....of course he's going to say he is....do you think he's going to tell you they're bad???

Don't do it!

I burned about 10 bags of these during the coldest time here and was very happy with them they burned good and yes they are a little larger pellet, smelled fine here, I also mixed these with the maeder brothers I have now and they helped make the burning exp a little better the ash I got was a fine ash not coarse like the maeders which are the worst I have ever burned,I would give the applings a try see how your stove does with them I know for me if I had the chance to get a ton of applings I wouldnt be shy about them but that is just my opinion as they burned fine in my stove and the heat was nice

They are better this year than they were last year. Still a bit more ash than I would expect from a wood pellet. Just barely a premium grade pellet as far ash ash wise!

I have so many choices this year, I found several brands that were cheaper and burned far better(less ash more heat!) than the ACP's. So I didn't waste my time with them except a trial burn to see how they were this year. I will burn them if there cheap enough and only in the shoulders. But I will burn most anything if the price is right!

I burned a ton this year. LOTS of ash...very little heat.

My two cents.

BTU said:
warmncozy said:

My two cents.

Per Jake's test

37th out of 43 for heat (very poor)
38th out of 43 for amount of ash..(very high ash content)

Most would consider a lower end pellet....BUT YMMV ...

Who's Jake?

imacman said:
Junk. Don't even bother buying 6 bags to test....It won't take more than 2 for you to see how bad they are.

And as for the dealer "he seems to be happy with them".....of course he's going to say he is....do you think he's going to tell you they're bad???

Don't do it!

Off topic, sorta, but anybody remember "BADGE 714"? Where the names were changed to protect the innocent? What's up, macman??????????? (Oooops, 'scuse me," imacman").

jtakeman said:
BTU said:
warmncozy said:

My two cents.

Per Jake's test

37th out of 43 for heat (very poor)
38th out of 43 for amount of ash..(very high ash content)

Most would consider a lower end pellet....BUT YMMV ...

Who's Jake?

Hi jake! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.