Applying Furnace Cement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mountaineer79

Sep 11, 2008
South Unger, WV
I've read about some of you guys recommending applying furnace cement to the interior pipe joints to increase the air tightness of the stove. The stuff I bought doesn't have very good directions. So I have some dumb questions: How do you apply it? With a brush? Do you put it on before you put the pipes together or just fill in the gaps after? I tried doing it last night by putting it on before, and I made a hell of a mess. I decided to redo it with new pipes since everything looks like crap now and one of my old pieces of pipe doesn't stay together well anyway.

Thanks.

I'm assuming you have the sticky black stuff (unsanded)? I use a small putty knife, or even my finger, and smear generous amounts around the inside of the female side of the joint. Then insert the crimped side and turn it a bit to increase contact. This should prevent a mess on the outside. While still wet (and maybe even when dry but not yet heat-cured) it washes off with water.

What about the collar that connects the pipe to the stove or the thimble into the chimney? Do you put any in either of those locations?

Thanks

Yes to the collar, smear it inside the collar. I assume yes to the thimble also, although I don't have one of those.

Most/all of these connections should be fastened with 3 sheet metal screws as well.

This thread brings up a question I have.. Does anyone know if you can paint over furnace cement? Im fixing up an old VC Resolute and repainting it a dark red. All the seals except the bottom right under the door seem to be fine. I was planning to seal the gap with rutland furnace cement from home depot then run the stove a bit to cure the cement. Then take it to the garage for painting.. Am I missing anything?

Reactions: milesmoony
Status
Not open for further replies.