Appreciation for modern engineering

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Time to roll the 1969 JD110 plow tractor out of the garage and clean out the carb to stable it for the summer.

I've gotten too used to my Toyota that can be completely disassembled with a 14mm socket... just to take the carb off the Deere required 3 different sockets, a pliers, a flat head screwdriver, and a box-end wrench. :mad:

Shoulda ordered the carb rebuild kit first- thought I could get away with reusing gaskets but not so much...

And I wish the US would go to all metric. 12mm is bigger than 10mm is easier on my brain than 3/4 is bigger than 11/16.

Time to roll the 1969 JD110 plow tractor out of the garage and clean out the carb to stable it for the summer.

I've gotten too used to my Toyota that can be completely disassembled with a 14mm socket... just to take the carb off the Deere required 3 different sockets, a pliers, a flat head screwdriver, and a box-end wrench. :mad:

Shoulda ordered the carb rebuild kit first- thought I could get away with reusing gaskets but not so much...

Now now, that depends.

Try taking a modern automobile apart. You will have standard bolts, metric bolts, torx, allens, phillips head screws, flat head screws, etc, etc.

I had a 1970 Plymouth that I could just about tear down to the frame with four tools (phillips head screw driver, 3/8, 9/16, and 1/2 in wrenches).

I think it depends on who did the engineering as opposed to when.......

Blue, I really have to disagree with you - I have a 1960 Trojan payloader, there's nothing on it I can't fix. At a show last year there was a brand new Cat model. There's probably nothing on it I could fix. Without a laptop, the right software, and a some thousands of dollars of new tools. Heaven help you if you weld too close to it, you'd fry most of the chips in it. When you grew up with s.a.e. tools, the metric system is like trying to write left handed upside down underwater. I absolutely hate it.

Reactions: Mike Fromme
I despised working on the Ford trucks I've owned, I never knew if I needed to grab a metric or SAE socket! At least now my Nissan is 100% metric, and the old Wheel Horse tractor is 100% SAE! I can guess the size of a bolt or nut pretty well as long as I know which measurement system to use, but it's a royal PITA to have to bring out 2 sets of tools to work on anything!

This is the universal metric AND sae tool:
wrench.jpeg
;lol;lol;lol

Reactions: bobdog2o02
Yup, that's my 2nd favorite tool for rounding off bolts, following slip joint pliers!

I thought that was what they were made for. Well that and being a hammer if needed.

They DO make great hammers! And the ones with rubber coatings on the handles make great chew toys for my dog.

If it's an SAE nut and I have metric, I shove a paper towel in the socket and try not to round. LMAO.

Why did they call it a left handed monkey wrench? I don't know but as a kid that is what it was called.
It was a play on the "versatility" of the tool.

My '73 IH Cub Cadet requires about 4 different SAE wrenches and two screwdrivers to do just about anything. Sorry your green tractor is such a PIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.