Approximate weight of green fresh cut logs ..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patch53

Dec 10, 2009
UP of Michigan
Does anyone have an idea of how much a 16 foot X 16 inch fresh cut piece of red oak might weigh? I'm guessing about 900 lbs. I'm thinking about building an ATV log arch and I would want it strong enough to handle a piece that big. Thats probably about the biggest chunk I would want to handle, weightwise.

thx, Pat

I don't know the weight, but that should make you some very good wood indeed.

I may have found out what I needed to know. According to this table:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/weigt-wood-d_821.html

A cord of green red oak would weigh just under 5K pounds, using 80 cu ft as a cord of wood with no air space and a density of about 60 lbs/cu ft. So, a 16" piece would be 1.33 cu ft (if I'm doing the math right) which would be about 80 lbs / foot of wood. Sooooo, 80 lbs X 16' = 1280 lbs. Does that sound about right?

Pat

If not right, at least close, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.