aquastat L6006C

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tandemguy

Dec 18, 2016
Deering nh
Looking for some advice on wiring a L6006C aquastat to thermostat connections on gas boiler. I have a wood boiler which heats a 400 gallon storage tank of water for heating. The circulators to the radiators use the tank water to heat the house and are controlled by thermostats in the house. These circulators will circulate water regardless of the water temp.
My gas boiler is a backup heat source which is hooked up to the same tank. I want the gas boiler to (when I turn it on) heat the tank to 185 degrees and shut off. The aquastat is mounted on the upper part of the storage tank. I want the gas boiler to come back on when tank temp drops to 170 or so. I tried connecting R-B terminals but it seems the aquastat closes the connection when it reaches the 185 set point. I want it to open the connection at 185 thereby shutting off gas boiler and boiler circulator. R-W connection seems to open circuit when it reaches the 185 set point. What am I missing here?
The backup gas boiler is only used a few days a year when we travel, otherwise it is shut off.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Denis

The R-B should break on rise (and make on drop) which is what you want. So not sure what's going on, from your description it sounds like it's doing the opposite? You could maybe try using R-W - but that seems backwards to how it should be working. Is this an initial setup of the gas boiler, or was it in use before?

Status
Not open for further replies.