aquastat questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessem

Jan 25, 2010
SW VA
What I currently have: is a high temp aquastat to excite forced air fans
when wood boiler water temp (160*)drops below the current setting.

What I want: is a aquastat(s) to excite the heat pump compressor when the
water temp is too low (110*) when fire is left unattended. Also I would
like to switch off the (2) forced air fans at the OWB when the heat pump is excited.

I already have a new strap on honeywell aquastat, and I am not an electrician so simplicity is nice

thanks

jessem said:
What I currently have: is a high temp aquastat to excite forced air fans
when wood boiler water temp (160*)drops below the current setting.

What I want: is a aquastat(s) to excite the heat pump compressor when the
water temp is too low (110*) when fire is left unattended. Also I would
like to switch off the (2) forced air fans at the OWB when the heat pump is excited.

I already have a new strap on honeywell aquastat, and I am not an electrician so simplicity is nice

thanks

One way to do this would be two SPDT aquastats wired in series. #1 would be set at 110F. Below this point the NC contact would excite the heat pump, at 110F the NO contact closes and sends power to the NC contact on #2 which excites the forced air fans. At 160F #2 closes and excites the NO contact to receive heat from the wood boiler. I think I got this right.

Maybe it would be better for one aquastat for the heat pump and another on the return water line near the stove, wired seperate for the forced aor fans? Any thoughts on this?

thanks

One way to do this would be two SPDT aquastats wired in series. #1 would be set at 110F. Below this point the NC contact would excite the heat pump, at 110F the NO contact closes and sends power to the NC contact on #2 which excites the forced air fans. At 160F #2 closes and excites the NO contact to receive heat from the wood boiler. I think I got this right.

Status
Not open for further replies.