aquastats make my head spin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssupercoolss

Jan 28, 2008
southeast pa
i will be plumbing my newyorker wood boiler into my oil boiler in series, but also in a way i can isolate the two, for like times when i go away and just want to use oil. so....basically i want each one to be seperate. seperate thermostat, seperate circulator. the owners manual only really shows how to tie the aquastats into the oil boiler. i will plan on using a L4006B as the overheat, to kick the circulator on. so, can i use a similar aquastat that my oil boiler uses? i think its a L8124A. to me it seems like i would be able to, but this is all new to me. the new yorker has a draft blower, which i see being hooked up to the burner contacts. then the circulator to the circulator contacts. seems as though this aquastat would be able to maintain the boiler temp, while working with the thermostat to turn the circulator on. thoughts?

Futureboiler your new yorker wood boiler should have come with 2 aquastats. An L6006A for overheat, and an L4006B for the normal operating control. Did you not get these with your boiler?

well, the boiler is in the mail, but the manual says thats what it comes with. manual says L4006B is for overheat. my problem is i do not want this tied (electrically) into my oil boiler at all. so, i think i need an aquastat like the one on my oil boiler to maintain temp within the boiler, and work with a thermostat.

Hi Futureboiler if your plumbing them in series then when the wood boiler is cool the oil boiler will come on and operate normally without needed more than one thermostat.

As BRL said using two 4006s will provide that functionality. Basically when the wood boiler is hot its circulator will come on and circulate hot water into your oil boiler keeping it hot and thus preventing the oil burning from kicking on. WHen the house calls for heat the zone valve/circ will operate and cycle hot water through the zone via the Oil boiler, no changes here needed.

When the wood boiler cools the 4006 will shut off the circulator and if a zone calls for heat it will circulate the same through the oil boiler. WHen the oil boiler gets too cool it will start the oil burner as it normally would before you installed the wood boiler.

If the wood boiler gets TOO hot the other 4006 is for this over temp condition. It should be wired to a large heat zone valve/circ to turn it on and bleed off heat from the wood boiler.

NOTE if you have zone circulators depending on how your system is plumbed you may get circulation through your zones when the wood boiler circulator is running. If you have zone valves this wont be an issue. THats what happening to me now.

~ Phil

Electrically it is except for the aqustat that is for the over temp protection which you need to have. THis is the only place where a control signal from the wood boiler connects to something you already have with the oil boiler. IE an contact closer from the overtemp 4006 will activate a zone valve.

Otherwise, the wood boiler circulator is electrically connected to the other 4006 aqustat on your wood boiler to supply power to this circulator when the wood boiler is up to temp. Has nothing to do with the oil boiler.

I think I see what your getting at, you want seperate thermostats for you zones so you can have one controlling the zone valve when the wood boiler is running (a higher room temp?) and one controlling the zone valve for when the wood boiler is cold and the heat supply will be coming from the oil boiler (colder temp)

If this is what you want you will need to complicate things and add seperate relays that will disable the thermostat for the wood boiler when the wood boiler temp is low and then making the active thermostat for the room the oil boiler one which would be set cooler.

To do this each zone control would have two thermostats wired in parallel to it. THen the one for the wood boiler would need a relay in line that is controled by the wood boiler 4006 aqustat for its circulator. WHen its closed and providing 120v to the circ it would also activate the relay for the wood boiler thermostat closing it and thus avtivating it.

Or the relay could be set up to have the aqustate just provide contact closure to a DPDT relay which is then providing contact closure for 120v feed to the wood boiler circ and contact closure to the thermostat....

Did that make sense? there are other much savior folks on here already doing this kind of controls, maybe one of them will pipe in.

~ Phil

Simple fix: Put a switch on your oil burner motor. All the other circulators, zone valves, etc., will work normally but the oil burner will not fire if shut off.

Just remember if you're leaving your house for a while to turn it back on or you could have a serious problem!

Let me know if you have any questions. I did this with my system and it works great.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.