Arboristsite?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

Is it just me or are some of those people who post over there clueless, every time I look at that site I find some posts that make me wonder what they are doing, seems like a fair amount of people do not believe in seasoning their wood very long. Of course they probably think that we are nuts.

They're chainsaw folks. We're wood burning elite types. A few of us can/do do both.

Most of my family cuts dead standing wood in September and figures that one chimney fire in 10 years or so is doing 'pretty good' : (

They've driven on by my place without knocking on the door figuring I wasn't home on a cold day because they didn't see smoke coming out of the chimney...

ATB,
Mike

I don't think that is a very accurate statement at all. But then again I don't have any forum bias. There are alot of knowledgable people over there as here.

Theres people learning there just like here. There are also old timers that will never change... I agree, they are more of a chainsaw type over there. I really need to mod that muffler!!!

Same could be said for some people on this forum.

bsearcey said:
Same could be said for some people on this forum.
Yes indeed, it seems like they do not point out some of the misinformation were as over here they do. My intent was not to bash the site or the people over there, only been there a couple of times. If your read my OP I said SOME and that they probably thought we were NUTS.

I read the OP and realize that you quailified your statment somewhat. I still thought it was a rather broad brush that was used to paint the other forum as a whole. JMO though. Both sites have been valuable to me as a new burner/procurer o' wood.

Really comes down to where your at right NOW.....My dad was 18 before they had gas heat, there rule of thumb was on the ground by June 30th.

Like I said when I joined this site, we always burned seasoned wood even back in the "old day" so the thought of burning green wood surprised the heck out of me, one of the posts I saw yesterday was about burning green wood because it lasted longer and a while back one stated the wood cured in a pile as good as stacked, I could go on for a while but yu get my drift. The big difference between the two sites is the correction of bad practices over here, one can argue about who's right but some of the information is etched in stone. I agree they seem to be chainsaw driven.

oldspark said:
Like I said when I joined this site, we always burned seasoned wood even back in the "old day" so the thought of burning green wood surprised the heck out of me, one of the posts I saw yesterday was about burning green wood because it lasted longer and a while back one stated the wood cured in a pile as good as stacked, I could go on for a while but yu get my drift. The big difference between the two sites is the correction of bad practices over here, one can argue about who's right but some of the information is etched in stone. I agree they seem to be chainsaw driven.

I was a pile guy for years because I went through 11-12 cords a year what the wonder why...lol Hope I can make it with 8 or I will go back to piles.
Anything less just would not be worth the extra effort.

I personally have learned valuable info from both sites. Hey - what can you say - they got a couple of nuts just like this place. :lol:

On this site, half the people burn wood that is seasoned only briefly, if at all, but they don't post that part of their procedure because we'd all jump down their throats. Over at Arboristsite, the green-wood-burning majority can freely post about cutting a live tree and throwing it in their outdoor wood furnace the same day, and they get an attaboy from the guys.

Also, I assume they have more pro arborists, so yeah, they know their chainsaws and like to talk about them.

Lots of guys burning those OWB's over there so they don't worry so much about creosote and burning their houses down. Still have some good info and pictures.

I spend about the same amount of time on both sites and in the couple years I've been over there I think I've been in the Wood forum twice. I am here for wood and over there for chainsaws.

I think a lot of those guys are loggers... Another truckload does not mean much to them. I like both places. I tend to lien to this site but I have a new 361 that has not been broken in yet and the 029s is ready for a mod...maybe... :lol:

Wood Duck said:
On this site, half the people burn wood that is seasoned only briefly, if at all, but they don't post that part of their procedure because we'd all jump down their throats. Over at Arboristsite, the green-wood-burning majority can freely post about cutting a live tree and throwing it in their outdoor wood furnace the same day, and they get an attaboy from the guys.

Also, I assume they have more pro arborists, so yeah, they know their chainsaws and like to talk about them.
I think that kinda sums it up. :lol:

i think we've pretty much covered the differences of the sites, but I'm a major lurker over there. I am always killing myself by looking at ebay saws that I never intend to buy, then I run over to the arboristsite and check out pages and pages of threads about that saw and the mods that have been done to them, or read the specs about them. It's a very useful resource, those guys (collectively) really know their stuff. I don't speak up there, because I don't want them to make fun of my wimpy 028.....

I would say that anyone who doesn't use both sites (whether posting or lurking) is missing out on valuable information.

bsearcey said:
I would say that anyone who doesn't use both sites (whether posting or lurking) is missing out on valuable information.
perfect summary.

bsearcey said:
I guess that is how this thread was conceived. :)

Danno77 said:
bsearcey said:
perfect summary.

I am on both and post on both (different screen names, not sure how I worked that one out). Actually I learned about Hearth.com from the AS message board. The fellas on the AS board helped me put our log splitter back together after BIL's removed the cylinder for repair and then never came back to reinstall it. Because of that help I will be forever grateful to the members of the AS board.

As to the difference of seasoned versus green wood: As someone else stated earlier, most AS member's are using OWB's (outside wood burners) which are a completely different animal than my Oslo.

Good members on both lists - knowledge is available equally on each list - apply the knowledge as to your need.

Shari

I'm always a sucker for those "who are you?" threads so just went through the whole one going in the Firewood Forum over there. A pretty stunning difference between the members of the 2 boards is the number of people over there who don't even know what kind of stove they have or have some ancient smoke dragon. I just found that pretty surprising.

Oh they know what they have...they just don't give a ........

Seriously for the most part those guys know what they are doing.

Yes, I am sure that is the case but as a whole, I think you give them way too much credit. There was just a guy wanting to run a second stove off his existing chimney and I am the only one to tell him absolutely not.

Status
Not open for further replies.