Arch Shapped Fireplace - insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdNH

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2009
Southern, NH
Hey guys,

Were looking at a new house that has a beautiful masonry chimney with an arch along the top. Since we are now hooked on burning wood, I was wondering if any manufactures made an insert that would fit the shape of this hearth? I guess worse case scenario we will just have to get another free standing stove, may have to anyways since that opening doesnt look too big.

Attachments

• 4065415_14_l.jpg
    4065415_14_l.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,216
it is not uncommon to have an arched plate made to mate to the existing surround on an insert to match the arch of the brickwork...since there seem to be few "standards" that fireplace openings adhere to (at least in the NE) I doubt very much anyone makes a surround to match that "out of the box"...but its very easy to have made at a fabricator, and not very pricey either.

Here's an arched surround for a wood insert the company I work for made.

Attachments

• wood insert arched surround (1024x577).jpg
    wood insert arched surround (1024x577).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2,746
Usually these fireplaces require some sort of custom piece, which I have made from concrete board or sheet metal. I would bet a local welder or fabricator could make something up too.

Mo burns, that looks great!

Custom made masonry fireplace wood boiler insert.
Mo burns, I love your surround. Looks great!

Attachments

• MasonryFirePlaceInsertModelsPag.jpg
    MasonryFirePlaceInsertModelsPag.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,139
The best solution would be a fireplace insert with a custom made arch surround. You can even do an inside fit surround to fit inside the opening. The opening also looks tall enough for a rear vent freestanding, but you'd have to extend the hearth and take up a lot more space in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.