Archery for newbs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta-T

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2008
NH
so I'm thinkin I want to pick up archery as my new hobby. I have put a couple dozen arrows down range with both the recurve and compound bow, and I think i'm more of a recurve (read oldschool) kinda guy. anyone have any suggestion for some reading material so I can inform myself about the general stuff, so I dont have to listen to sales pitches? If anyone has some personal experience with recurve that you think would be useful...I am all ears. The recurve I have tried was a Martin (X-200, 30# @28") thinknin I can go a bit higher on the draw weight. I'm not lookin to hunt, just targets. Thank you much.

I suggest you invest in a forearm protector. I've owned both re-curves and compounds and like you like the re-curves betters. I advise you don't leave one strung when not shooting. Have fun with it!

Delta,

Don't know how handy you are, but if you are really looking for a good time, look into building your own recurve bow. There's a good friend of mine that makes bows in his pole barn. It take some basic wood working skills, but it adds to the hobby and personal experience side of it. He even makes his own arrows out of cedar and turkey feathers.

I've shot archery for 20 yrs and bow hunted for 15 and love it. It's a great hobby whether you hunt or not. I'm ready to hang up the high speed single cam and have my buddy show me how to make a recurve. I've shot his a couple dozen times and hunted w/ it once and they are a treat to shoot. Granted there's a difference between being able to stackem at 40 yrds w/ the compound bow, but the old school pleasure of a recurve has it's fun too. Hope you have a great time with it!

I just wear my chainsaw chaps. At least till October, then there's too high a risk for shrinkage.

For about a year I've been thinking of this same thing, only I'd like to lean towards hunting. Have you had any luck with archery classes? There's a school in Concord but I'm just looking for something like Sat. classes, and not a semester of Intro to Archery. I don't even know what I'd like at this point.

I bought a nothin' fancy (but not bottom of the line) target recurve bow, a bunch of arrows and targets & stuff from one of the many e-tailers some years ago. Set up a neat pile of about 12 hay bales, stuck a target on there, and we had a heck of a good time shooting arrows a bunch of times. Still have the equipment (minus one arrow that's still someplace out by the South Fork of the Shenandoah River in Virginia) but our property here in Oregon isn't conducive to setting up a little range without some ripping out of sagebrush. My neighbor down the hill hays about a 12 acre parcel, so that's no problem. It's fun. Maybe one day I'll get that stuff out and nock a few back. Rick

Delta
I enjoy archery as my main hobby. While I do have an old Shakespere Wonder bow, I am a compound bow shooter. I enjoy indoor spot shooting in the winter, 3-D all year long and I LOVE to bowhunt. I know of several authors and books on compound shooting, I can't think of one for traditional or olympic archery. I know that Martin and PSE make olympic style recurves that you can purchase online or at a local dealer. Bear, Black Widow, Martin, and a host of others make recurve and longbows. My advice is to look for a local archery club and stop by a ask some questions. All bows are fitted to an individual and depending on your draw length, dominent eye and of course strength will dictate what bow you will need. I'm sure if you search online or head to the library you will find some useful info. Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way. Archery is big fun !! Get started on the right foot and you will have a blast.

Schoondog

Delta
I was just on lancaster archery website to check a few things and I saw several books on instinctive and traditional archery ... check them out

Schoondog

Make friends with someone who shoots (preferabLEE for quite a while) what you want to.
You can waste alot of $ on sales pitches.
When shooting , RELAX.
For a first timer a wrist guard is a must

Thank you all for the input.
- Stackedlumber, I am moderately handy with wood tools, but I think i'd need a few years of shooting under my belt to be able to understand what I'd want/need in a bow before i could "successfully" make one for myself.
- Btuser, Had not considered classes, 'm more of a "teach yourself" kinda guy, do have a friend who shoots compound regularly, but he admits to not knowing much about recurve. I'm sure some things translate well between the two systems, but I'm sure a lot doesn't.
-Schoondog, thanks for the website, I shall check it out. I nkow I can go to the library, and do unlimited searches on the web, but a lil direction never hurts.
-??????LEE, I shall relax when shooting, shouldn't be too hard for me, I'm super mellow, and considerer my forearm girded (does gird fit in this sense, hmmm).

I have built somewhere between 35 and 50 selfbows- a couple of backed bows as well, but haven't shot in quite a while. My best friend, and long time hunting partner just pulled out his old bows this past week and is looking to finish some. I have a 90-100# yew war bow that I need to finish as well.

Martin is always a solid name. If you want to build a bow- I can help you. We'll talk when you come over this weekend.

If you want a good site like Hearth to ask questions- go to bowsite.com. If you want the recurve/longbow/selfbow angle- go to Stickbow.com. It is THE site for this stuff on the web (complete with its own politics). I was a frequent poster there under names like "dances in speedo" (always looking just to upset someone) and "pablo del norte", but have been banned for telling a racist POS exactly what I thought of him (no regrets :)

sweet jesus AP, 90-100#, thats old school English Longbow draw weight. I want to shoot at some targets, not take down the enemy at 100+ yds. I would never guess that a bow shooting website would have racists, go figure (yup, thats my sarcasm again, just wont stay in its box,dagnabbit). looking forward to top fir.....you will be wearing pants though? right?

Adios Pantalones said:
Oh- I have no idea how I'd shoot a 100# bow. need a special training program I think.

Its easy, you lie on the ground, put both feet up on the bow and pull with 2 hands.

They're actually almost all nice people. I made the mistake of going into the "community" forum- much akin to the ash can. That's where it gets hairy. The Stickbow forums are good stuff. Some great people, and world experts there.

My wife has family visiting from Europe right now and the brother-in-law was eying my recurve. This got me to take it out and start shooting again (it's been 3-4 years). I'm a big fan of instinctive shooting. Lots of fun.

I recommend, "Instinctive Archery Insights" by Jay Kidwell. Quick read in, like 16-point font. Good luck.

Adios Pantalones said:
They're actually almost all nice people. I made the mistake of going into the "community" forum- much akin to the ash can. That's where it gets hairy. The Stickbow forums are good stuff. Some great people, and world experts there.

TradTalk and stickbow....If you work at it, good stuff but man, talk about some committed loons.

Status
Not open for further replies.