Arctic cat ATV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I'm looking for an ATV to move firewood and plow my drive before I kill my lawn tractor using it for these chores. I know many have probably asked this before but here goes another :is this a good ATV?
http://youngstown.craigslist.org/snw/4548173361.html

The owner won't budge on price but it is in very good shape with a few extras.

I have an 2003 Arctic Cat 500 that I bought for 3000 about 5 years ago, had 2000 miles on it. 3000 seems pricey but with a plow already and such low miles it might be good. I use my Cat like a skidder - haul lots of wood, use the winch, use 4wd up hills with a cart of wood, never has given me any problem.

If it truly has that low amount of miles it's possible that it was a garage queen and is a very good deal. I doubt it will last long.

Bsa0021 - Seems kind of high in price for an 11 year old machine, I would ask the owner to take some pictures of the bottom of the machine, the bottom will tell the story of the quad, dents, scratches, broken parts - walk away, clean bottom - wasn't abused, also look at the rims, same thing dents scratches would suggest that it was ridden hard. The arctic cat is a nice machine, I also have a 2003 400 4x4 manual drive, has plenty of power and is heavier compared to other atv's in its class which is nice for plowing and towing, there is also a high and low gear shifter, high for trail riding, cruising around the yard, low gear for towing and plowing. I bought my quad from a dealer used back in 2005, I spent $2,300 on it and the machine didn't have a scratch on it, I was from an old timer that used it for hunting.

Bsa0021 - Seems kind of high in price for an 11 year old machine, I would ask the owner to take some pictures of the bottom of the machine, the bottom will tell the story of the quad, dents, scratches, broken parts - walk away, clean bottom - wasn't abused, also look at the rims, same thing dents scratches would suggest that it was ridden hard. The arctic cat is a nice machine, I also have a 2003 400 4x4 manual drive, has plenty of power and is heavier compared to other atv's in its class which is nice for plowing and towing, there is also a high and low gear shifter, high for trail riding, cruising around the yard, low gear for towing and plowing. I bought my quad from a dealer used back in 2005, I spent $2,300 on it and the machine didn't have a scratch on it, I was from an old timer that used it for hunting.

Same thing here owner is a old timer that hunts and his buddies keep there atvs at the hunting site so no need to haul this
Everything looks real clean he even waxes it after using it. His garage and all his vehicles were immaculate. He just won't budge on price.
I'm going to look at some others to compare

If he takes really good care of it then you may want to consider the 3 grand a fair shake, A new machine cost's between 7 - 11 grand now at days, If its truly low mileage and in good condition you'll have it for another 10 years at a fraction of the cost for something new

We have a 1997 AC 454 here, had since new. Not much use. I use it for wood scrounging. Works pretty good & no real problems in all those years - except that now I think the muffler is deteriorating inside & causing me some exhaust blockage. It's taken to fouling plugs once in a while & blowing black smoke, I first thought it was a carb issue but now think it's the muffler. These things are set up great for working with the hi/lo tansmission - but they don't make great trail machines, or at least ours doesn't, as it is geared kind of low for that. Only about 40mph tapped out, and ours is full time 4wd. I wouldn't balk at an AC.

We have virtually the same wheeler and have put it through hell and back. Has been an absolutely fantastic wheeler. Have had to do very little with it over the years. Plows well too.

I jinxed myself.

I was backing up to my splitter at my scrounging spot last night, and one of the front lower ball joints came apart. First let-down in 17 years. Anyway, I got it up on blocks & taken apart last night and a new ball joint pressed in this morning at the local Cat dealer, which I coincidentally had an appointment around the corner from anyway. Hope the assembly goes as good. Also got a spare ball joint.

So, my recommendation after all that would be to jack it up & check both ends for slop - no matter what kind/brand/age of used ATV you're looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.